Discussion topic: Sky hub as modem only

This message was authored by Concretenail This message was authored by: Concretenail

Sky hub as modem only

Afternoon.

I'm trying to find out if I can use the sky hub, standing black unit, as a modem only. Having set up the device and the network around the house I've found the unit extremely poor at handling internal traffic. Having now set up the network again with a dlink router i want to connect that to the modem in the sky hub without doubling the NAT. Is it possible? 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky hub as modem only

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Concretenail 

Note that without a Sky Broadband Hub (or Max Hub) acting as gateway router, Sky Talk Internet Calls cannot work.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Concretenail wrote:

Having now set up the network again with a dlink router i want to connect that to the modem in the sky hub without doubling the NAT. Is it possible? 

No: Sky Hubs do not have a 'modem' mode, and will always route traffic.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Concretenail 

The sky hub has no modem mode. The 2 ways to connect another router/access whilst improving wifi would be to ethernet a wifi 6 router to the sky hub with the sky wifi disabled and the 3rd party router set to access mode or :-

A third party router set up to replace the sky hub. In both cases the asus rta ax wifi 6 router are capable of operating both as an access point and a router

Also if you have a fttc vdsl line you would need a seperate modem bridge.  

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Concretenail
Topic Author
This message was authored by Concretenail This message was authored by: Concretenail

yes it fibre to the cabinet setup here as there is no fibre line to the property in the area yet. so fafr ive runn though the complete router setting options and fond no bridge or 'modem mode' only. other than running the dlink unit in a fixed ip there isnt any options. ive started looking at other options and the asus dsl ac88u seems to be one of the singular box options that does what i need it to, ie has traffic management options regards priority, as well as having ethernet and varios wifi frequency options. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Concretenail 

Note that without a Sky Broadband Hub (or Max Hub) acting as gateway router, Sky Talk Internet Calls cannot work.

Concretenail
Topic Author

That's good to know. I haven't got a landlines connected as it stands now. It might be worth a call to sky then and change the phoneline option then and opt out of voip line. Just so i have the option to connect a landline phone in the future.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Concretenail wrote:

It might be worth a call to sky then and change the phoneline option then and opt out of voip line. Just so i have the option to connect a landline phone in the future.

'Sky Talk Internet Calls' is an inherent part of SOGEA broadband provision from Sky and can't be opted out of: as long as you only have 'Sky Talk Pay As You Talk' it has no cost on the subscription.

The future of all telephony is IP-only and the bundled solution from any ISP typically requires the ISP router to be in place.

Concretenail
Topic Author

That might be true for the future but currently they can't force customers to have it as it poses a risk to people who can't contact emergency services via other means in the event of power failure. The hub being reliant on mains supply. So there is, currently an option I can investigate.

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Concretenail 

From the 5th of september all new connections and switching isp's have been provided with sogea/voip/internet based telephony services. Theres no way around it other than staying with existing pstn services until 2025

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

Concretenail
Topic Author

If staying with the old system what happens then it happens. I didn't choose to opt over.  If suppose If I end up on the 'old system' then which ever provider the address is serviced by with have the duty of care when providing a point of contact for the emergency services. 

As I don't want to use the hub as its not up to snuff and is causing issues.

@Concretenail 

At the minute pstn is at stop sell until total switch off in 2025. At the minute local councils, housing associations and other authorities are provising/renting panic buttons hooked up to gsm access for the vulnerable and elderly so that in case of emergency they can contact telecare providers. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion