Discussion topic: Sky gigafast Speed?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Sky gigafast Speed?

@GF37 

There is a known bug with Sky Q boxes connected by ethernet back to the main Sky router that causes throughput issues, but not so if they are over wireless. Can you do a sketch of your full wired and wireless LAN network for information and post it on the forum?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
GF37
Topic Author
This message was authored by GF37 This message was authored by: GF37

@mae-3  Hi, I hope this is what you wanted.

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 15.24.36.png

@GF37 

Just waiting for the sketch picture to be approved.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@GF37 

The reason you have restricted bandwidth from your full-fibre connection is that you have the Sky Q box ethernet through an ethernet switch to the Sky router and you have hit a bug in the Sky Q box/router firmware that is well known. If you turn off the Sky Q box as a test completely disconnecting it from the mains power you'll find you get the full-fibre speed you spent your money on, but with that Sky Q box ethernet back to the Sky router through an ethernet switch, it will be restricted by the Sky Q box ethernet Sky router bug, unfortunately!

-------

GF37
Topic Author
This message was authored by GF37 This message was authored by: GF37

@mae-3 Thank you for your patience and your answer. Very much appreciated.

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@GF37 

Are the speed test results in Mbs or MBs?  As the latter is eight times faster, the distinction is fairly crucial.

@TimmyBGood 

Sky then throw this into the mix to confuse things even more:

Glass.jpg

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

@Skull+Treaty & @TimmyBGood 

A bit heavy with the capitals Sky has been in its advertisement, it's surely not 10 MegaBytes per second for the Sky glass system... 

And @GF37 hasn't got it this wrong Sky has a bug in its Sky Q system for the LAN system 😎

-------

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@mae-3 wrote:

@Skull+Treaty & @TimmyBGood 

A bit heavy with the capitals Sky has been in its advertisement, it's surely not 10 MegaBytes per second for the Sky glass system... 

; ) - I'm sure it's 10 Mbps...otherwise loads of their FTTC customers wont be able to get Glass 😄

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Skull+Treaty wrote:
; ) - I'm sure it's 10 Mbps...otherwise loads of their FTTC customers wont be able to get Glass 

Although 10Mbs arriving at an address is almost certainly too little for any kind of reliability...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood 

With Sky's Sky Q LAN bug you really need 10Gbps from the WAN! 😉

-------

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mae-3 

We've just commissioned gigabit symmetrical on a BTnet leased line at work, and I'll bet Sky Go will still struggle.  

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood 

Well, if Sky is using the same type of technology and bugs in their headend systems they are surely adding to the additional bandwidth requirements for the internet! 😉

-------

And Sky should read up with their suppliers that provide and design their LAN networks about broadcast storms and bridge loops, and design them correctly! 😎

-------

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@mae-3 wrote:

@GF37 

The reason you have restricted bandwidth from your full-fibre connection is that you have the Sky Q box ethernet through an ethernet switch to the Sky router and you have hit a bug in the Sky Q box/router firmware that is well known. If you turn off the Sky Q box as a test completely disconnecting it from the mains power you'll find you get the full-fibre speed you spent your money on, but with that Sky Q box ethernet back to the Sky router through an ethernet switch, it will be restricted by the Sky Q box ethernet Sky router bug, unfortunately!

I have my Q box connected via ethernet through a switch to the hub and get around 490 Mbps on an Ultrafast Plus connection. The Sky Q bug can't be a blanket issue with the firmware.

@simon194 

Have you isolated the ethernet switch/wifi so only 1 route is being used to the Sky Q box?

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion