Discussion topic: Sky gigafast Speed?

This message was authored by GF37 This message was authored by: GF37

Sky gigafast Speed?

I upgraded to Sky Gigafast a couple of months ago after a complete install debacle. I'm concerned that when I used to access my router stats I could see my download and upload speeds.... nothing is shown now. When carrying out a health check it says "estimated 900mb down load". Not exactly hi tech...!!

I have my Xbox connected directly to the router via 20m of Cat 8 cable. When I carry out a line connection test it reads 93.5mb download 93.6 upload. My old service was over copper and the Xbox was fed via Mains LAN extenders and the line test then showed 72mb down load. Am I paying all this extra to in theory to gain 20mb. I've also noted on the forum that someone has used Fast Com to check their line speed. My reading was...61mb... ! Then tried Broadband speed checker 64.89mb download 41.46mb upload...... 

All very distant to the "Estimated" 900mb download.

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Sky gigafast Speed?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GF37  Yeah with FTTP now, the speed is not passed to the router for you to see in the router stats, this is held by the ONT which you have no access to.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
GF37
Topic Author

@Highlinder Thanks for your quick response, so how do I know I'm getting what I pay for. I'm concerned about the speed tests..

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@GF37  What does the broadband speed test. I am going to be in the same boat as you getting FTTP.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@GF37 

Are the speed test results in Mbs or MBs?  As the latter is eight times faster, the distinction is fairly crucial.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Do you know what the Ethernet connection between the Xbox and the router has negotiated at?

Looks like it may only be 100Mb/s

GF37
Topic Author

Sorry no I don't. Is there a way to identify this?

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@GF37 wrote:

Removed as it was the answer to the wrong question.

Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

GF37
Topic Author

@Eeeps Hi, I've searched for speed for Xbox series X and it can manage 2 gig.

GF37
Topic Author

@TechmanagerMal Hi, Just run another speed test. Faster today....!

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 11.49.38.png

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@GF37 

The Xbox Series X has a Gbps ethernet port and supports 802.11ac dual-band wireless, eg: it cannot achieve a speed of 2Gbps which is twice its maximum and beyond its ability. 😉

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@GF37 wrote:

If you disconnect the Ethernet cable for 10 seconds and then reconnect it there should be an entry in the log of the hub. This is under Security -> Logs

e.g. ...

syslog: eth3 (Ext switch port: 4) (Logical Port: 12) Link DOWN.
syslog: eth3 (Ext switch port: 4) (Logical Port: 12) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

GF37
Topic Author

@Eeeps Carried out as you kindly explained . Log below, It shows link Up 1000 as you explained. Thank you.

syslog: [293244.095000] eth3 (Ext switch port: 4) (Logical Port: 12) Link DOWN.
 syslog: eth3.1 - WAN link DOWN.
syslog: DHCP lease expired from server. Connection DOWN.
syslog: Voice IP Connection Down
 syslog: Voice Disconnected
syslog: sky dhcpc client (v0.0.1) started
 syslog: sky dhcpc client (v0.0.1) started
 syslog: [293260.223000] eth3 (Ext switch port: 4) (Logical Port: 12) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@GF37 

Do you have Sky Q box(es) and Sky Q mini box(es) on your network connected by ethernet cables?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
GF37
Topic Author

@mae-3 Sky Q and mini boxes are wifi.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion