Discussion topic: Sky gigafast Speed?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Sky gigafast Speed?

@simon194 

Without adding a sketch of your set-up with information on whether you are using ethernet throughout or ethernet and wireless, and the firmware releases of all the boxes it adds very little to the conversation adding that yours works when many have found that having Sky Q or/and Sky Q mini boxes in the equation causes throughput issues over the LAN on high-speed full-fibre when connected by ethernet, and I've found disconnecting the Sky Q boxes solves the issue.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@GF37 wrote:

@Eeeps Carried out as you kindly explained . Log below, It shows link Up 1000 as you explained. Thank you.

syslog: [293244.095000] eth3 (Ext switch port: 4) (Logical Port: 12) Link DOWN.
 syslog: eth3.1 - WAN link DOWN.
syslog: DHCP lease expired from server. Connection DOWN.
syslog: Voice IP Connection Down
 syslog: Voice Disconnected
syslog: sky dhcpc client (v0.0.1) started
 syslog: sky dhcpc client (v0.0.1) started
 syslog: [293260.223000] eth3 (Ext switch port: 4) (Logical Port: 12) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

Out of interest, which Ethernet connction did you disconnect? Are you sure this was the connection to the XBox (va the switch).

Just a that it's a bit strange the WAN link dropped.

GF37
Topic Author
This message was authored by GF37 This message was authored by: GF37

@Eeeps @Sorry, obviously confusion. I disconnected the incoming line to the router.

@GF37 wrote:

@Eeeps @Sorry, obviously confusion. I disconnected the incoming line to the router.

Try it again with the connection to the switch which has the XBox on it and post the log.

GF37
Topic Author

@Eeeps Hi, sorry I had to go out. Heres the log.

syslog: [391329.557000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link DOWN.

syslog: [391684.449000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@GF37 

eth0

For fttp customers that should be eth3 port4 marked wan on the back of the hub

IE ethernet ont port to the wan port on the sky hub

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
GF37
Topic Author

Hi @cookiemonsteruk, Yesterday I did as you rightly point out, disconnected the WAN cable port 4. This morning @Eeeps asked me to do the same for the cable feeding my Q box and Xbox and provide the log as I just have.

@GF37 wrote:

@Eeeps Hi, sorry I had to go out. Heres the log.

syslog: [391329.557000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link DOWN.

syslog: [391684.449000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

?

So looks like that link is only 100Mb/s.

Could be the cable, the switch or even the Sky hub.

Cable length shouldn't be a problem.

You need to check each element separately.

Do you have a laptop with a Gb Ethernet port?

GF37
Topic Author

@Eeeps Unfortunately not re the laptop. The cable is brand new Cat 8 which should I thought in theory be ample. Yesterday when I tested and only got 93Mb to the Xbox, that was with the cable connected direct, Router port to XBOX Ethernet port, all other elements removed, .

@GF37 wrote:

@Eeeps Unfortunately not re the laptop. The cable is brand new Cat 8 which should I thought in theory be ample. Yesterday when I tested and only got 93Mb to the Xbox, that was with the cable connected direct, Router port to XBOX Ethernet port, all other elements removed, .

Anythingelse with an Ethernet port?

First check that your Sky hub is set to 1Gb Ethernet - 'Ethernet Setup'

Cat 8 cables are an overkill, if they reay are what they say.

The Netgear switches can also cause issues.

waht speed do you get on WiFi?

GF37
Topic Author

Just tested WiFi v Ethernet on the Xbox

Wifi 80Mbps Down 15.63Mbps up

Ethernet 94Mbps Down 21.98Mbps up

Arlo is connected via a short patch lead

syslog: [476507.922000] eth1 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
syslog: [476522.013000] eth1 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

And a UniFi switch

syslog: [476745.390000] eth2 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
 syslog: [476747.402000] eth2 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

Just the cable connected to the router port disconected at the Netgear Switch the Xbox is connected to

syslog: [476964.577000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link DOWN.

syslog: [477003.794000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Router port light one green the other Amber. Maybe a faulty cable????

GF37
Topic Author

@Eeeps Details previous post👍

This message was authored by TechmanagerMal This message was authored by: TechmanagerMal

@mae-3 wrote:

@GF37 

The reason you have restricted bandwidth from your full-fibre connection is that you have the Sky Q box ethernet through an ethernet switch to the Sky router and you have hit a bug in the Sky Q box/router firmware that is well known. If you turn off the Sky Q box as a test completely disconnecting it from the mains power you'll find you get the full-fibre speed you spent your money on, but with that Sky Q box ethernet back to the Sky router through an ethernet switch, it will be restricted by the Sky Q box ethernet Sky router bug, unfortunately!

• I guess this is the same direct from Q box to Router and not only when a switch is used?
Passing on the tips I have learned in over 24 years as a more than satisfied Sky customer.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@TechmanagerMal 

I believe you had a Sky Q box directly ethernet to the Sky router and had a reduced throughput issue which was solved by disconnecting the power to the Sky Q box, so that question you can answer yourself?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by stillo This message was authored by: stillo

Hello

I know this thread is old and I have read it all, but I am having issues too I have Gigafast, and I am getting  91 Down and 77 up on wifi only, noting connected by wire apart from incoming from outside is there anything I could possibly do to resolve this

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion