Discussion topic: Sky Ultrafast connection keeps dropping

This message was authored by Chris+Woolhouse This message was authored by: Chris+Woolhouse

Sky Ultrafast connection keeps dropping

I've had Ultrafast Plus for about 6 months now. About two months ago, it started dropping internet connection once or twice a week with the phone light turning orange. A router restart fixed it every time, so with a smart plug I then set a 3am reboot each day. That seemed to help for a while, but now I'm getting short internet connection drops 5,6,7,8 times a day, which kicks me off video calls etc, and takes 3-10 mins to resolve itself. The router stats say that the connection hasn't dropped. but I can see leases renewing at broadly the same time as the drop. It's a while since I did any networking courses, but the lease shouldn't be renewing every half an hour or so should it? Log dump below:

2023-03-xx 14:34:39 syslog: TR69: Connect to Production ACS

2023-03-x 14:34:39 syslog: TR69: Connection to ACS Complete

2023-03-xx 14:34:48 syslog: TR69: Close ACS Connection

2023-03-x 14:42:49 syslog: WAN IPV6 UP

2023-03-xx 14:46:11 syslog: Send out NTP request to ntp1.isp.sky.com

2023-03-x 14:46:12 syslog: Received NTP Sync Reply from ntp1.isp.sky.com

2023-03-xx 14:46:12 syslog: System time is up to date

2023-03-x 15:01:05 syslog: Lease renewed 3600 ip 5.71.209.162

03-x 12:05:52 syslog: Lease renewed 3600 ip 5.71.209.162

2023-03-x 12:12:48 syslog: WAN IPV6 UP

2023-03-x 12:20:52 syslog: Send out NTP request to ntp1.isp.sky.com

2023-03-x 12:20:52 syslog: Received NTP Sync Reply from ntp1.isp.sky.com

2023-03-xx 12:20:52 syslog: System time is up to date

2023-03-x 12:35:16 syslog: Lease renewed 3600 ip 5.71.209.162

2023-03-xx 12:42:48 syslog: WAN IPV6 UP

2023-03-xx 12:59:16 syslog: Lease renewed 3600 ip 5.71.209.162

2023-03-xx 13:12:48 syslog: WAN IPV6 UP

2023-03-xx 13:32:16 syslog: Lease renewed 3600 ip 5.71.209.162

2023-03-x 13:42:49 syslog: WAN IPV6 UP

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Sky Ultrafast connection keeps dropping

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chris+Woolhouse Could you please post your router stats following the link below.
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#M101...

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Chris+Woolhouse
Topic Author
This message was authored by Chris+Woolhouse This message was authored by: Chris+Woolhouse

Screenshot 2023-03-28 16.00.00.png

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@Chris+Woolhouse  Has your connection dropped in the last 12 hours and 18 minutes?

Chris+Woolhouse
Topic Author

Yes, at least three times.

@Chris+Woolhouse  Looking at the router stats it is showing no drops at all. Is this happening on both wired and Wi-Fi connections or just one of them?

Chris+Woolhouse
Topic Author

Hi Highlinder,

I don't have any wired connections, just wifi. 

It's not the wi-fi dropping though, as the devices remain connected to it, they just pop up with 'no internet connection'. 

@Chris+WoolhouseMight be that with the WAN port being in port 4 that is showing. But there is no drops on the Wi-Fi. There is 19 collisions. So your devices are dropping to using data when this happens or in the case of a laptop lose connection totally?

Chris+Woolhouse
Topic Author

Hi.

Laptops (3 of them) lose connection totally. Usually for a couple of minutes or so, then it comes back. 

I saw the collisions, so could that be the issue?

I have a separate mesh network (different SSID) from the Sky Wifi which is what's connected to port 4. The Sky wi-fi is seperated into two networks as well (5Ghz and 2.4Ghz due to devices which can only use 2.4Ghz - Solar inverter, robot vauum) - again with different SSIDs.

I also see this at around the time of one of the disconnects this morning:

2023-03 2x 09:01:29 syslog: [19232.983000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link DOWN.

2023-03 2x 09:01:38 syslog: [19242.084000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

2023-03 2x 09:01:54 syslog: [19258.298000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link DOWN.

2023-03 2x 09:01:57 syslog: [19261.335000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 😎 Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

Chris+Woolhouse
Topic Author

That smiley emoji is an 8 followed by a bracket btw!

@Chris+WoolhouseWhich port is your cable coming from the ONT plugged into?

Chris+Woolhouse
Topic Author

Port 4. 

I have an Ethernet hub in port 2 and the mesh disk in port 1. 

@Chris+Woolhouse  Have you made any changes before this started to happen. Is it only devices that are connected on one of the SSIDs or is it happening to them all?

Chris+Woolhouse
Topic Author

Hi Highlinder,

No changes at all. Almost all devices are connected to the mesh network, so I can't tell if it happens to all SSIDs or not. Only way would be to run into the house from my office when it drops and check. Will do this next time.

@Chris+WoolhouseWould give you a better chance to pin point what is causing it all to keel over for a short period of time.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion