Discussion topic: Sky Q mini and Gigabit?

This message was authored by LeoBlack30 This message was authored by: LeoBlack30

Sky Q mini and Gigabit?

So,

I have a V1 Sky Q box.

I have 3 mini's (all 6 years old).

Everything is connected by ethernet (Sky Q directly to Router SR203) and a Gigabit switch going off to the office and 3 Mini boxes.

But,  unless I'm mistaken,  the Ethernet on the Main box/miniboxes won't be Gigabiit?  and therefore the Wireless signal they emait  will be under 100mbps?.

Which then means there is no way I can get get more than 100mps on Wifi unless I'm in earshot of the router?

Is that right?

Mike

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Sky Q mini and Gigabit?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LeoBlack30 

That's correct: Q WiFi is 802.11ac, so theoretically faster, but Mini boxes have a 100Mbs ethernet chipset.  

However, you might want to ask yourself if any individual wireless client actually benefits from bandwidth of anything like 100Mbs, and if it does (a gaming device downloading from Steam, for example) then shouldn't it be in its own wired connection to a gigabit backbone?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@LeoBlack30 

That's correct: Q WiFi is 802.11ac, so theoretically faster, but Mini boxes have a 100Mbs ethernet chipset.  

However, you might want to ask yourself if any individual wireless client actually benefits from bandwidth of anything like 100Mbs, and if it does (a gaming device downloading from Steam, for example) then shouldn't it be in its own wired connection to a gigabit backbone?

LeoBlack30
Topic Author
This message was authored by LeoBlack30 This message was authored by: LeoBlack30

Thanks for this. I think it's the principle as much as anything 😂😂

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@LeoBlack30 

No problem.  Probably important to remember that Q is now quite old and the boxes would have been specified in 2014-15 when 100Mbs would have been faster that almost all domestic internet connections.  In hindsight given the increasing deployment of FTTP it's now potentially something of a bottleneck.

LeoBlack30
Topic Author

Yeah it's weird to think Q is 6 years old.   To be honest I hadn't even thought about the 10/100mpbs issue,  never figured it would "matter".

As you say,  100 is plenty,  but always nice to have everything run at optimum perofrmance.

I've switched two of my boxes back to wifi and downstairs wifi speeds are closer to 300 now,  so happier with that.

Thanks

Mike

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion