Discussion topic: Pig sick broadband disconnecting.

This message was authored by Aceman46 This message was authored by: Aceman46

Pig sick broadband disconnecting.

So sick of sky broadband.  Been with sky 22yr and they have reached a low point for me. Since renewing my contract in Feb and getting this new style hub from day one had nothing but drop outs.  Goes off amder light comes on and back on.  Can be up to 20 x per day. Awful when working from home and doing presentations.  Phoned numerous times to the standard reply of "can we look at your set up" the same set up I have had for 22 years. Had sky engineer.  Had bt engineer twice, the second time they thought they had found something up the street a poor connection.  Was ok for a couple of week now back again.  I've almost lost the will to call again.  To go through the same pre-scripted rubbish.  Anyone else had the same issues as soon as they had the new stand up slim version hub.  I demanded a new hub at one point.  They sent the same type which does exactly the same.  Really at my wit's end now and cannot wait for contract to end to go to Virgin.  Sky can shove their broadband where the sun don't shine.  After 6 MTHS of relentless cutting out they offered me next to nothing as compensation.  I always spoke highly of sky.  Cannot stand the now.  22yrs and they don't give a monkeys.  Anyway enough of the rant, anyone else had same issue as soon as getting the new hub?

All Replies

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

Re: Pig sick broadband disconnecting.

@Aceman46 As the forum is mostly customer based, we have no access to any account info & past history,

so in that respect, we are starting from scratch,

as a starting point, can you post your router stats,

if needed! the instructions on how to find & display the required info the forum needs is available here,

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717

You can also run a line test & let the forum know the results, 

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/broadband-diagnostic-start

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Aceman46
Topic Author

Hi Tom

Router Statistics
System Up Time: 636:05:46
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collision Pkts Tx b/s Rx b/s Up Time
WAN MER 1656270 2790028 0 559609 764564 02:15:13
LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
WLAN (2.4 GHz) Up 93083090 58949612 0 1001739 464817 636:04:06
WLAN (5 GHz) Up 433095932 247629485 0 0 0 636:04:01
Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 43064 kbps 9379 kbps
Line Attenuation D1(16.7 dB) , D2(40.1 dB) , D3(61.4 dB) U0(8.6 dB) , U1(32.7 dB) , U2(49.0 dB)
Noise Margin 4.0 dB 5.8 dB

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Pig sick broadband disconnecting

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Aceman46 your experience is something that we have heard before. In summary engineers have checked the usual causes of faults but not found the fundamental issue. Your stats show what on thecsurface is a decent enough connection operating with a noise margin of 4.0dB shich indicates a healthy line but it dropped in the last 3 hours.

When line drops exceed the threshold of 10 per day or there are other errors the DLM system running in the cabinet should intervene and raise the noise threshold to stabilise the line. So typically on a faulty line we see levels over 6.4dB and speeds approaching or below the guaranteed minimum.

However you can get conditions where the line is operating well until there is a burst of inteference that causes the cabinet to drop the connection. This is known as SHINE (ignore the H it is single isolated impulse noise but it is paired with REIN which is repetitive noise which makes a mrmorable acronym) this is explained more here https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-Understanding-REIN-and-SHINE

These problems are rare and are difficult to disgnose unless the noise event happens while the engineer is testing. The usual route is.replace everything else then if the problem is still there call in the REIN and SHINE team. In practice they may or may not find the cause it can be something in your home like a sparking switch or dodgy microwave but equally someting outside your home. Recently a whole Welsh village lodt broadband when somebody turned on their TV which took months to find.

If you have access to Virgin talk to Sky as they are quite likely if asked nicely to release you from the contract if they cannot fix the fault but you may need to formally raise this as a complaint. The grass may not be greener with Virgin but you stand a better chance at least.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Aceman46
Topic Author

Might just do that.  Thanks for taking the time to reply 

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@Aceman46  As Chrisee mentioned intermittent faults are a pita to diagnose & rectify, I can testify to that.

Did the line test flag any errors?

Tom...

BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Aceman46
Topic Author

Hi Tom

Been onto sky again this morning as cutting out continuously again.  I am a very reasonable man but sending me over the edge this.  Gave me the usual spiel for the umpteenth time and was going to send a sky engineer out again even though the first sky engineer confirmed all good internally and is an outside fault.  In fact all she did was change the main socket that the BT engineer had already changed the week before.  Demanded another open reach engineer but she kept saying her system won't allow that, although got there in the end.  As usual the line test showed nothing, but it is a very intermittent fault where by it cuts out all the hub lights go out literally 15 sec later come back on with amber light flashing another 10 secs back on.  But the logging on process when working WFH is painful.

I did notice the land line very crackly as well..don't know if that has anything to do with it.  Question, can I purchase a different make hub and use with sky or does it have to be the one they provide?  As all this trouble started the day I connected the new style sky hub.  May just be a coincidence but very strange.

@Aceman46  Depending on what broadband package you are on, you can certainly use a 3rd party router,  you would also lose your landline if you are provisioned with sky's voip service.

but do check here first as not all routers are compatible with how sky operates.

But a crackling line dose suggest the possibility of a line fault somewhere. 
So a 3rd party router may not improve things for you at the moment.

note,  if a line fault remains un-diagnosed & not fixed! it could move with you to another provider if you choose to move away from sky.

Use of the test socket on the incoming phone faceplate would narrow that down to an external fault. If on fttc,

also make note of the environmental conditions, dose this drop happen more when it's been raining or windy etc 

Out of interest! are you on fttc or full fat fttp?

Tom...

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Aceman46
Topic Author

Sorry not sure what you mean, not technical I'm afraid.  How do I find out 

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Aceman46 

@Aceman46 wrote:

Sorry not sure what you mean, not technical I'm afraid.  How do I find out 

Your router stats further up the thread suggest FTTC

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
Aceman46
Topic Author

Thanks 

Aceman46
Topic Author

Dealing with the skyexecutive response team now (sounds like something out of Thunderbirds) had 3rd Open Reach engineer out today.  Did their stuff just outside the house.  Guess what? Yes you guessed it, still cutting out.  At least now I can deal straight with this team who are monitoring the case.  Never know I may have a working broadband by 2025 😕 Seriously though this is getting me down now.  Affecting WFH getting it in the neck from son & daughter as this is really screwing up their lives (anyone with kids will understand). Nearly 6mths of this.  Considering trying to get out of my contract and moving to Virgin.  Any thoughts?

Aceman46
Topic Author

Question..my mum is with sky and got a different router.  Could I plug this one in at my home to see if I get the same disconnections?  All this trouble started when I renewed my contract and they sent me this latest router that stands vertical.  I did ask for another but they sent me the same type.  Just want to try a different one as a process of elimination.

Thanks for any help.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Aceman46 yes your mum's router should wiork but will almost certainly not sort the line drop issues as 95% certain to be a line noise issue. When talking to Sky's exec team say it is been suggested to you that your line is suffering from impulse noise and can they escalate the issue with Openreach to get the REIN and SHINE team involved. No guarantees thst they can run the issue down but they are effectively the last resort.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Aceman46
Topic Author

Thanks 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion