Discussion topic: Sky Hub SR204 port forwarding with translation/routing?

This message was authored by El_Presidente This message was authored by: El_Presidente

Sky Hub SR204 port forwarding with translation/routing?

Hi,

I'm a very new Sky broadband customer, but with a reasonable tech level with many years across IT systems.

One of my systems in-home needs external access from a dynamic DNS address, so I need to look at port forwarding on my new hub 4 (SR204).  What I can see is basic forwarding of external traffic to an internal IP but no option to route/translate the the inbound port to a different port number.  Is this something that can be acheived using my Sky hub 4 or do I need to look at a feature request with Sky Technical Support?

At the moment I don't think that I can map my external and internal services to use the same port number as they are pre-defined.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers
El_Presidente
Topic Author
This message was authored by El_Presidente This message was authored by: El_Presidente Answer

Re: Sky Hub SR204 port forwarding with translation/routing?

I have progressed this by using an NGINX reverse proxy software module to take care of https redirection inside my network. Still, I'd like to see this from Sky sometime.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@El_Presidente with the Sky hub you have limited options and forget asking Sky for a "feature request" that never happens Sky are a mass market isp who simply only support standard use of the hub everything else is out of scope.

You can forward ports on the Skybhub as explained here. You can also use one of the 3 supported Dynamic DNS service to keep track of the public IP address Sky assign to your connection. Otherwise what you see is what you get on the hubs most customers wanting flexibility use a fully featured third party router.

However if you are on a G.Fast connection as your mention of the SR204 implies using a third party router gets complicated as modems that support G.Fast are not that common.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
El_Presidente
Topic Author
This message was authored by El_Presidente This message was authored by: El_Presidente

Thanks for the response @Chrisee

It's very early on and I'm still in the finding out phase, so I'll look more at my options over the coming days and weeks.  One way may be to re-route traffic outside the hub, another might be to try again to force port use at the source to one I can directly map at the destination inside my network.  I don't think the Dynamic DNS does anything for me here.

The odd part is that just about every router/hub I've used prvately and professionally has had the ability to map traffic across ports when forwarding.  I think port translation is just standard...

My Hub is only providing ultrafast connection right now, so no G-Fast issues.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@El_Presidente if you have a full fibre connection with an ONT then replacing the Sky hub is much easier.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
El_Presidente
Topic Author
This message was authored by El_Presidente This message was authored by: El_Presidente Answer

I have progressed this by using an NGINX reverse proxy software module to take care of https redirection inside my network. Still, I'd like to see this from Sky sometime.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion