Discussion topic: Sky Broadband

This message was authored by Rory01 This message was authored by: Rory01

Sky Broadband

Hi I'm waiting for my activation date (14 Nov). I have received my sky pucks and B-roadband modem. I am a bit confused as I was expecting "fibre" connection (openreach fibre fitted already), but it appears to connect to the telephone tap only... when sky checks for availability do they only check telephone or do they look for fibre too then offer whatever service is available?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

Re: Sky Broadband

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rory01 

If you have the ONT installed already, then the Hub from Sky will connect to that via the WAN port. The Hub's are dual purpose and can be used for those with an FTTC connection (via the 'telephone tap') or for those with FTTP, using the WAN port (I cant recall which one, one of four ethernet ports on the rear of the Hub)

You have the ONT installed, similar to the below?

ONT1.jpg

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty Answer

@Rory01 

If you have the ONT installed already, then the Hub from Sky will connect to that via the WAN port. The Hub's are dual purpose and can be used for those with an FTTC connection (via the 'telephone tap') or for those with FTTP, using the WAN port (I cant recall which one, one of four ethernet ports on the rear of the Hub)

You have the ONT installed, similar to the below?

ONT1.jpg

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Skull+Treaty wrote:

@Rory01 

The Hub's are dual purpose and can be used for those with an FTTC connection (via the 'telephone tap') or for those with FTTP, using the WAN port (I cant recall which one, one of four ethernet ports on the rear of the Hub)

eth4 (marked WAN very indistinctly in red)

sky_broadband_hub.jpg

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Rory01
Topic Author
This message was authored by Rory01 This message was authored by: Rory01

Thank you 

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

Out of interest how does the Hub know it is connected in this way?

Does it have to be configured to use Ethernet port 4 as a WAN interface?

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

The hub defaults to an "Auto" connection so if it can't find an ADSL/VDSL connection on the "purple" socket it'll then look for a WAN connection on port 4.

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

@Mr+Slant wrote:

The hub defaults to an "Auto" connection so if it can't find an ADSL/VDSL connection on the "purple" socket it'll then look for a WAN connection on port 4.

I wondered about that.

So on my vdsl setup, if I disconnect my connection to the purple socket then the hub will start trying to speak PPPoE to what ever equipment I have connected to Ethenet4?

I think I'll switch mine to DSL Only.

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

No. Sky use IPoE, not PPPoE so its not going to try to negotiate with anything 🙂

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion