Discussion topic: SR203 Router Problem

This message was authored by dude1547854 This message was authored by: dude1547854

SR203 Router Problem

Hi, yesterday evening my downstair sockets tripped and since then no internet (not sure if the sky router caused the trip or not).

Anyways it appears the router is now cycling on/off...

Red power light on boot up, green power for about 1 minute then back to red.

Tested power supply and getting constant 12.20V so not an issue there.

Only managed to get into router settings once via ethernet (when the power light stayed green and the wifi light was green), but now after several reboots it looks like I cannot get the power light to stay green.

Reset it many times without any joy.

Firmware Version 7.01.0902.R
DSL Firmware Version A2pvfbH043p1.d26u

Only had sky broadband newly installed since 2 months ago.

Is this a known issue? My only guess is the firmware perhaps was updating when the power was lost and now it is partially bricked.

Best Answers
dude1547854
Topic Author
This message was authored by dude1547854 This message was authored by: dude1547854 Answer

Re: SR203 Router Problem

Hi, I'm back online sky working 😉 Cost me £80 though for a new TP-Link Router from the local argos.

Don't have much faith in the Sky router lasting 2 months from new, so thought it was best to go for a half-decent router, never had this issue before with other ISP standard issued routers.

Thanks for all the help anyways

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dude1547854Looks like when the power was tripped it took out the router. If you are able to call Sky and ask them to send you a new one.

This can be done by dialing 150 on your landline unless it is plugged into the back of the router.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@dude1547854 

If it f/w was updating when the switches were tripped that would throw the hub into a boot loop either that or the hub has been bricked by a power surge.

You will need to contact sky on 150 from a landline
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
dude1547854
Topic Author
This message was authored by dude1547854 This message was authored by: dude1547854

Thanks for the help, looks like a dodgy router then.

No internet for me then for the next 3-4 days 😑

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the Firmware Version7.01.0902.R file they can send to me?

If I could miraculously get into the router settings again, I could try updating the firmware,

Thanks

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@dude1547854 

Although there is a f/w update by usb option effectively there is no way of getting a downloadable version. Unfortunately sounds like a case of waiting for sky to send a new one out

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
dude1547854
Topic Author

Ah I see, I saw the option in the router settings thought it could be flashed (as you do with other routers).

Will have to ring sky and get a replacement router sent 👍

Thanks for the help

This message was authored by Temp2123454333 This message was authored by: Temp2123454333

Hi, @dude1547854.

You are better off calling sky and mentioning to them what has happened and arranging a new Broadband Router to be delivered, and unfortunately, there is no way to get a USB device with a downloadable firmware on it. so much easier to get a new router. The power trip most likely caused internal issues with the router. 

dude1547854
Topic Author
This message was authored by dude1547854 This message was authored by: dude1547854 Answer

Hi, I'm back online sky working 😉 Cost me £80 though for a new TP-Link Router from the local argos.

Don't have much faith in the Sky router lasting 2 months from new, so thought it was best to go for a half-decent router, never had this issue before with other ISP standard issued routers.

Thanks for all the help anyways

dude1547854
Topic Author

Hi guys, Internet is still working great.

However another problem I have discovered since using a 3rd party router... I've only now tried plugging in the landline/phone and its not working!

Any ideas ? It does not work when connecting directly to master socket, I take it the telephone port has not been wired up ?? IMG_20220425_111759.jpgIMG_20220425_111841.jpgIMG_20220425_112106.jpg

Or perhaps this is correct and I need a different phone (VOIP) to work with my new router?

Thanks for any help

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

@dude1547854If you have been put on to the VOIP with Sky and have to plug in your phone into the back of the Sky router then this will not work on your own router.

But seeing that your phone is plugged into the wall still in one of the pictures. When the Sky router is plugged in how many lights do you see green on the router.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@dude1547854 

If the phone handset was previously connected to the voice socket on the back of a Sky Broadband Hub then you were provisioned with SOGEA FTTC and your address no longer has an analogue (PSTN) phone service being delivered from the exchange: the actual wiring of the Openreach box makes no difference.

Unfortunately only a Sky Broadband Hub can enable Sky Talk on VOIP.  If you choose to purchase a 'real' VOIP handset then you'll need to run it off ethernet and subscribe to a VOIP provider.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
dude1547854
Topic Author

Thanks for the help.

Yes TimmyBgood that is exactly how the phone was previously connected.

I checked my bill and I have:

Sky WiFi - Free
Sky Broadband Superfast - £19.50
Sky Talk Internet Calls - Free
Sky Pay As You Talk - Free

I'm pretty stuffed then with regards to setting up a phone, unless I take the VOIP route which is more expense 🤣

Cheers

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@dude1547854 wrote:

Sky Talk Internet Calls - Free
Sky Pay As You Talk - Free

Yup, that's Sky Talk using VOIP.  Note that it's far from 'free' to make calls though (and frankly Ofcom should spank Sky for implying so): 'Sky Pay As You Talk' is charged at the pence-per-minute rates shown in the Tariff Guide and depending on your calling habits, you might well find a bundled allowance from a VOIP provider is considerably cheaper than the 22ppm Sky will happily charge you for calls to UK landlines and mobiles.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
dude1547854
Topic Author

Thanks for the help and info cheers

As I don't use landline at all for outbound calls, it's really only there for inbound calls. 

I thought of an option of call divert to another number. I don't think I can do this via sky's website though.

And I take it I would need a sky hub to first activate the divert, can this hub then be swapped for the 3rd party router thus then keeping the divert active infinitely?

Thanks 

@dude1547854You can divert all calls that come to your land line to a mobile number. But not sure about needing to use the landline to divert and then enable you to disconnect and use the third-party router.

Maybe some others can chime in on that information.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion