Discussion topic: Port forwarding to Sky box using Sky ER115 Router

This message was authored by SueI22 This message was authored by: SueI22

Port forwarding to Sky box using Sky ER115 Router

Hi,  has anyone tried port forwarding using ER115 router?   I would like to forward port 51111 to port 49160 on my Sky HD box.  I've found instructions here Port forwarding with Sky Broadband , but I guess I'm a bit daft, as I don't entirely understand.

First the instructions say create a service with a port range.  Is that the port I'm forwarding to or from or both?  I created mine with port 49160:49160.  Is that right?

Then it says add a firewall rule for inbound service, so that would be port 51111 right?  But there doesn't seem to be anywere to specify a port. 

What stupid schoolgirl mistake am I making???   Thanks for any advice. 

Sue

All Replies

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

Re: Port forwarding to Sky box using Sky ER115 Router

You can't do what you want to with a Sky router.

You can only forward (allow) a port number to connect though NAT/firewall to an internal client. You can't take an external port "1234" and forward it to an internal port "5678".

That requires routing rules through the firewall which the Sky equipment doesn't expose.

SueI22
Topic Author

Thanks for the quick reply Mr Slant,   that's a real shame to find it can't be done. At least I don't feel quite so stupid for not being able to do it. 

This message was authored by Mr+Slant This message was authored by: Mr+Slant

If you don't mind me asking, what are you trying to achieve?

Forwarding ports to the Sky HD box doesn't sound like a great idea to me, given its not the most secure kit in the world 😉

If its an attempt to make video stored on the box available in another location then that won't work. You'd need to be a lot more creative than that but were we to discuss those matters Sky would get somewhat annoyed to say the least....

SueI22
Topic Author

I would like to control my Sky HD box with Alexa.  I found some instructions here ndg63276/alexa-sky-hd: A smart home skill for Alexa to control a Sky+HD or SkyQ box (github.com)

First step would be to set up port forwading. So it seems like that is a lost cause. 

Sue

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SueI22 

Controlling from inside the LAN shouldn't require any messing with ports.  As @Mr+Slant indicates, opening up access from outside the LAN is probably unwise, as the box itself will have no expectation that's a thing, and hence no security.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion