Discussion topic: Packet loss during gaming

Wilko91
Topic Author
This message was authored by Wilko91 This message was authored by: Wilko91

Re: Packet loss during gaming

Hi, no fix yet unfortunately, I'm waiting for a monitoring period to end then will be picking up again

Wilko91
Topic Author

Hi @Greenfingers001 

I am still experience packet loss issues after the monitoring period.

Thanks

Wilko91
Topic Author

I'm still experiencing packet loss problems and I've noticed this this happens whenever I'm doing other things at the same time as gaming, eg YouTube, Twitch, Disney+

I've recorded a video while playing to show this, the packet loss graph in the top right shows packet loss occurring immediately as I press play on a stream, it ends just as fast when I stop the stream too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3a3FaP27f8

Any help please?

Thanks

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wilko91 

You've answered your own question there. If the issue occurs when you do other things like streaming then it is a bandwith contention issue and you'll need to look at controlling who uses the broadband when you are gaming or perhaps implement your own router with QoS.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
Wilko91
Topic Author

Thanks @jamesn123 

Personally I feel like in this day and age wanting a broadband connection where you can play a game and watch a video at the same time isn't asking for much. I have 70 MBps down and 20 up, I feel like doing 2 things at once should be a basic requirement in 2022.

As I've said in earlier posts this wasn't an issue with my previous provider and only started with Sky so it's still a provider issue.

Wilko91
Topic Author

Any Sky employee able to assist? Still facing packet loss issues unfortunately.

Thanks

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wilko91 

Sky wont be able to assist with it, you've already answered your own question, the issue is that you need QoS for a stable gaming experience. The Sky Hub doesnt have QoS therefore you'd need to invest in your own router. Regardless of whether this was an issue with your previous providers router or not Sky wont be able to assist. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by lukeheald This message was authored by: lukeheald

Hey, what did you decide to do about this? I'm the same boat and if sky can't handle more than one thing at a time on a 70mb connection then it is not fit for purpose and I'll leave. Did you find a temp solution? 

Wilko91
Topic Author

@lukeheald 

Nothing sadly. I've pre-ordered YouFibre gigabit fibre so just putting up with the Sky issues until the new provider is installed.

This message was authored by AaronN This message was authored by: AaronN

Did you ever find a solution for this issue? Ive had Sky broadband for a few weeks with great download/upload speeds but packet loss every 5-10 seconds while playing online games like call of duty which pretty much makes them impossible to play properly.

This message was authored by Mortarion7 This message was authored by: Mortarion7

Same here moved from BT and I've had nothing but issues apparently sky can't handle a tv streaming and one pc.

Intermittently 10-15 loss, I don't know if it's a sky router issue or what but it's rediculous

This message was authored by PacketLoss1234 This message was authored by: PacketLoss1234

Its a sky router issue. Get a new router and set it up or change provider.

Wilko91
Topic Author

My issue occurs only when doing something else while gaming (watching a stream/video, streaming music etc) so I just stopped doing that while gaming.

It looked like the only solution was to buy a third party router that has QoS however I did not want to spend my own money to fix a Sky router issue. 

Luckily YouFibre are setting up in my area with gigabit speeds that Sky don't offer so I have preordered with them and just awaiting installation.

This message was authored by LarryW89 This message was authored by: LarryW89

Had the same issue.

Thought it was poor wifi at first but get the same issue when connecting via ethernet. Only solution rn for me is to hotspot my phone's 5G connection which gives a much better experience when gaming than my own home broadband fully wired. Completely unacceptable for a modern broadband provider imo. Seems to be a common issue also. Very poor from Sky. I'm switching to a new provider and making do with tethering my phone in the meantime.

This message was authored by iml008 This message was authored by: iml008

Anyone resolved this issue? I swapped from Virgin in September and as soon as I go online with PS4 on call of duty it freezes in the first 10 minutes. Sky Q box says no connection to router and I have to reconnect using WPS button. After this it seems okay but it's inconvenient to say the least. Problem only started when I joined sky! Had engineer out after 4 weeks he changed router but problem still there!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion