Discussion topic: PLEASE PLEASE HELP, SKY MAX HUB πŸ˜•

This message was authored by Catmad90 This message was authored by: Catmad90

PLEASE PLEASE HELP, SKY MAX HUB πŸ˜•

Hi everyone I received the sky Max hub today, and I was so looking forward to better connection throughout my home.

To try to cut a long story short, none of my smart devices will connect, I have tried for 5 hours, had quite a few meltdowns, tried to go into the app and on the computer to split the ssids which it will not allow me to do.

I gave up in the end and phoned Sky, only to be told that I cannot send the Hub back or get out of the contract, even though I thought everybody has a 14-day cooling off period? 

This is a complete nightmare as everything in my house is smart. There was no mention of these issues before ordering the Hub, and I feel it's an absolute disgrace that I'm stuck with the product that I can't use. 

It was already difficult for me to find the extra pounds for something that should have improved my life, instead it's caused me an immense amount of stress, and I can't use any of my smart devices, including my printer which is really important because that doesn't accept 5Ghz!!!

It's ruined my whole home set up, and I'm SHOCKED to be told that it can't be returned? 

Could someone please help me, as I already suffer from extreme anxiety, and some of my Smart home devices help me with this. 

It's completely unfair, and I don't know what to do now 😒

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: PLEASE PLEASE HELP, SKY MAX HUB πŸ˜•

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Catmad90 the work round is to turn off the 5GHz band in the My Sky app assuming Sky have enabled thst for you. Then connect the devices after they are online re-enable the 5GHz band with a little luck they will stay connected.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Catmad90 wrote:

I gave up in the end and phoned Sky, only to be told that I cannot send the Hub back or get out of the contract

I think that's simply incorrect: Sky knows very well that Max is deficient in this respect.

If you still have the previous Hub model then there's no reason not to swap that back in now, get your household functioning again and then insist that Sky takes back their unsuitable hardware and cancels the additional subscription.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Exiled-in-HH This message was authored by: Exiled-in-HH

Isn't there a guarantee of 25 Mbps is every room or your money back?

Exiled in HH
Catmad90
Topic Author

I don't know, but that's not the issue. It's the fact it won't work with any of the smart devices and they will not take the router back. I've basically been told to either plug the old one back in for now ( so at least a smart devices work) or buy another WiFi 6 dual band router myself, but I'm still stuck in the contract with the Sky Max apparently.... It's unbelievable!!! 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@Catmad90 the work round is to turn off the 5GHz band in the My Sky app assuming Sky have enabled thst for you. Then connect the devices after they are online re-enable the 5GHz band with a little luck they will stay connected.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Catmad90
Topic Author

Thank you, but I tried that, and it didn't work. If only we could split the ssids like the old router, then there wouldn't be a problem.

I can't believe that they haven't allowed this. and there is no update on the horizon yet, and now I'm stuck paying for a service and with a product that I can't use, and they won't let me return despite only receiving it today? Surely there must be someone that can do something about this dire situation 😒

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Catmad90 you are not stuck as you have a statutory right to reject anything bought online for 14 days after delivery in fact Sky extend that to 30 days. Call.Sky again and explain that Wifi Max is not suitable for you and you wish to revert to the previous router and for them to remove the charge from your account. If in the unlikely case the agent does not agree to do that please post again and one of the forum superusers will report this to our Sky contacts. 

Catmad90
Topic Author

Thank you, I will do that again on Monday, as the agent I spoke to said there is no way out of the contract due to it being an upgrade πŸ€”πŸ˜’

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Catmad90 wrote:

I can't believe that they haven't allowed this. and there is no update on the horizon yet, 

It appears to be inherent to the technology from Plume which Sky has bought in for the Max service.

I agreed with @Chrisee that Sky cannot override your statutory rights, no matter on what basis they supply the hardware/service.

Catmad90
Topic Author

Thank you for your reply, I will challenge them on Monday, and post back here with any updates or issues regarding it. 

Catmad90
Topic Author

Max hub Engineer visit to sort SSID 2.4ghz and 5ghz issue

Hi all, in case you didn't see my post yesterday regarding the nightmare re the max hub, smart devices not connecting and being told that I was stuck in the contract etc etcπŸ€”.... I telephoned Sky again this morning and the customer advisor couldn't understand why I had been told that there was no cooling off period with an upgrade, he stated that I had been ill advised. 

Anyway, he was very helpful and he has suggested that an engineer visits on Tuesday to split the Ssid into 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the router, (as Iquickly found out that we cannot do that to ourselves on the max hub😩) and said there's currently a lot of people having this issue with the sky Max hub.

Has anybody had an engineer visit to do this, and has this resolved the situation? 

Thanks in advance. 

Catmad90
Topic Author

Hi there, I called sky again this morning and the customer service advisor couldn't understand why I had been told all that nonsense yesterday. I was told that I would only be able to use the Wi-Fi 6 by ordering an external router which has cost me extra money, but I will send it back. The guy today suggested a engineers visit, and he seemed to be confident that the engineer will be able to split the SSID signal whilst here... I hope so? Thank you for your advice and I'll let you know if it worksπŸ™πŸ˜Š

Re: Max hub Engineer visit to sort SSID 2.4ghz and 5ghz issue

@Catmad90 wrote:

Has anybody had an engineer visit to do this, and has this resolved the situation? 

As far as we know, an 'engineer' would have no more ability to do that than an end-user.  However, as I mentioned in the other thread Sky is using Plume technology for Max and so it's not impossible that they have additional tools, in the same way as television installers have software to diagnose the 'Q mesh'.

Catmad90
Topic Author

Re: Max hub Engineer visit to sort SSID 2.4ghz and 5ghz issue

Thank you, he did put some notes in regarding that and to let the engineer know before the visit.

I'm keeping everything crossed, and if it he is able to rectify the problem, then I will post it on this discussion in the hope that it could help others in the same situation.

I'm not holding my breath but trying to think positively 😊

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

I went into the app with my new max router and manually changed the ssid and password to match the old router, that way all my old 2.4ghz devices connected automatically without having to enter any new details

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion