Discussion topic: Options for modems with a new router

This message was authored by gthornton04 This message was authored by: gthornton04

Options for modems with a new router

i have bought a tp-link ax5400 and discovered that it dosent have a built in modem. i have the sky superfast connection (about 80mbps down and 18mbps up). i cant find a modem that supports this speed, i was looing at the openreach fibre modems but dont think it will work. i cant use this router in access point mode as i bought it so i can use the dhcp and parental controls. i would like to stop using the sky router all together and just use the new router and a modem but i cant find a modem. thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive Answer

Re: Options for modems with a new router

@gthornton04  The TP-Link TD-W9970  is as cheep as it gets for a fttc modem / router, circa £35 from the likes of Amazon, Argos, etc

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

I can confirm the TD-W9970 works in bridge mode on sky's fttc, but I'm not familiar with the tp-link ax5400,

So long as the ax5400 supports sky's MER (DHCP Option 61) your all set.

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Beaty666 This message was authored by: Beaty666

@gthornton04 wrote:

i have bought a tp-link ax5400 and discovered that it dosent have a built in modem. i have the sky superfast connection (about 80mbps down and 18mbps up). i cant find a modem that supports this speed, i was looing at the openreach fibre modems but dont think it will work. i cant use this router in access point mode as i bought it so i can use the dhcp and parental controls. i would like to stop using the sky router all together and just use the new router and a modem but i cant find a modem. thanks 

Same here this was helped me out check this https://www.sky.com/help/diagnostics/set-up-your-sky-hub/which-sky-hub-do-you-have 

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive Answer

@gthornton04  The TP-Link TD-W9970  is as cheep as it gets for a fttc modem / router, circa £35 from the likes of Amazon, Argos, etc

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/td-w9970/

I can confirm the TD-W9970 works in bridge mode on sky's fttc, but I'm not familiar with the tp-link ax5400,

So long as the ax5400 supports sky's MER (DHCP Option 61) your all set.

Tom...

BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
gthornton04
Topic Author
This message was authored by gthornton04 This message was authored by: gthornton04

@TomThumb5ive thanks. after looking, the ethernet ports are 100mbps, so would that effect future upgrades to faster wifi on sky?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@gthornton04 

It is a vdsl modem where the max speed is 80Mbps. Any faster would be via fttp where you'd be looking to find a way to directly connect the router to the ont modem

nokia_ONT_fttp_openreach.jpg

A task that has been hit and miss on tp link ax routers

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@gthornton04  The TP-Link TD-W9970 is a cheap modem / router that can handle the max speed of sky's fttc 80/20, 

If you upgrade your service,

It won't  support g.fast, 

On a full fttp service, (ultrafast / gigafast) your ax5400 will connect directly to the openreach ONT that act's as a modem,

(so long as @cookiemonsteruk or the forum reports that the 5400 works on fttp)

then the TD-W9970 is not needed,

The W9970 is a cheep no frills offering, but in bridge mode (modem only) any advanced features are not required or needed.

Tom...

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
gthornton04
Topic Author

thank you, i have ordered a td-w9970 and i now understand how it all works

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@gthornton04 

@TomThumb5ive 

That would depend on the ax5400 deployment of dhcpv6 prefix delegation . There is no support for dhcp option 61 om most tp link ax routers

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

gthornton04
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk what would that affect

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@gthornton04 

@TomThumb5ive 

That would depend on the ax5400 deployment of dhcpv6 prefix delegation . There is no support for dhcp option 61 om most tp link ax routers

Hence my move to BT FTTP (in May) which uses PPPoE so opens up the options 😏

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

@gthornton04 wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk what would that affect

@gthornton04 

It would affect whether the ax5400 can negotiate and authenticate with sky servers or just act as access points in conjunction with the sr203

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@@gthornton04  Just in case you have the need & require sky's internet phone service  (voip)

this is only available via sky's SR203/4 routers,

So this would require any 3rd party routers to be placed into AP mode behind sky's router👍

There is a guide on putting the W997 into bridge mode in the form if needed,

but I'm not familiar with any of the settings for the 5400 🙈

Tom...

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
gthornton04
Topic Author

we dont have a home phone, so everything should work right?

@gthornton04 

@TomThumb5ive process of setting td w9970 as modem bridge

Instructions for setting up tp link td w9970 as modem bridge

select sky vdsl from isp list

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

gthornton04
Topic Author

ok, i can do that. then i just plug the ax5400 in and connect my devices to it?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion