Discussion topic: ONT in cupboard, Move Router to living room??

This message was authored by Sean.97 This message was authored by: Sean.97

ONT in cupboard, Move Router to living room??

So I've just moved into my new flat and the ONT is placed in the hallway cupboard for some reason and for that reason i've had to place the router in the cupboard with it, which obviously isn't suitable (As seen in the photos).

I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas of how I could place my router in my living room without losing any signal drop. Currently on ultra fast plus package.

I do have multiple phone line sockets around my flat if that helps?

20230212_155553.jpg

All Replies

This message was authored by Deb3000 This message was authored by: Deb3000

Re: ONT in cupboard, Move Router to living room??

As far as I know, the only viable option would be a longer cable.

The good news is, the output from the ONT is proper ethernet, so you could have potentially up to 100m between it and the router without problems.  Any decent cat 5e/cat 6 cable will do.

Anyone got a better solution?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Deb3000 

@Deb3000 wrote:

As far as I know, the only viable option would be a longer cable.

The good news is, the output from the ONT is proper ethernet, so you could have potentially up to 100m between it and the router without problems.  Any decent cat 5e/cat 6 cable will do.

Anyone got a better solution?

No, you are spot on 👍

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Sean.97 

PS having multiple phone sockets will not help. Full fibre is not like pstn. It does not supply an electric current to the phone . So if you need multiple phones best go for a dect base station and run satellite phones of that

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sean.97 

You also can't use twin-core phone cabling as substitute ethernet: 100Mbs requires four strands, and faster than that needs eight.

Incidentally what you have there is the enclosure intended to house both an ONT and BBU (battery back-up unit) but it appears the battery isn't actually fitted.  That's not a problem: these don't function as designed to support internet in the event of a power cut because they can't supply a router.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Sean.97
Topic Author

Thanks yous all for your input.

So my only option would be a long ethernet cable from ont to Maybe place the router in the hallway?

Just an idea I've never used them before but would a powerline adapter work, if I plugged that into the socket below the ont, connect those two together and the main router in the livingroom ? 

Plus not sure if that would affect speeds.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4661847

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Sean.97 

I've speculated in the past on the use of Powerline for that, but have never seen a post reporting it works.  The likely problem would be that Powerline network adapters are designed for use on a LAN 'behind' a router, and the ONT to Hub link is technically a WAN connection to which different 'rules' apply.

@Sean.97 

Found this on another forum though, which is interesting.

ONT_to_PL.jpg

Sean.97
Topic Author

Thank you for the suggestion.

Do you have the link for that forum that you got the picture from?.

Just had a quick look through the forums and came across that powerline adapter are also only half duplex system which didn't realise so all ready I would be bottle knecking my router if I used that method.

Just annoying with these new builds why the ont is in the wardrobe and as a renter I can't even look into having it moved.

My only other second idea was to buy a second router but then the same problem occurs on how to connect both routers if I can't use the phone line sockets with ethernet adapter? 

@Sean.97 wrote:

Do you have the link for that forum that you got the picture from?.

https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=49&topicid=210245 

Just had a quick look through the forums and came across that powerline adapter are also only half duplex system which didn't realise so all ready I would be bottle knecking my router if I used that method.

Certainly for gigabit, probably for 500Mbs.  May not be an issue for Ultrafast 1

Just annoying with these new builds why the ont is in the wardrobe and as a renter I can't even look into having it moved.

Or under the stairs, or in the garage, or even located with no nearby mains socket....

My only other second idea was to buy a second router but then the same problem occurs on how to connect both routers if I can't use the phone line sockets with ethernet adapter? 

Adapters for 'phone line' to ethernet and vice-versa do exist but these are for attaching handsets to structured cabling: they don't (and can't) make a phone pair into pseudo ethernet cable.  Ethernet data transit requires a minimum of four cable strands: Powerline isn't 'ethernet', but a different form of signalling carried over either two or three strands of mains wiring.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Sean.97 

I've speculated in the past on the use of Powerline for that, but have never seen a post reporting it works.  The likely problem would be that Powerline network adapters are designed for use on a LAN 'behind' a router, and the ONT to Hub link is technically a WAN connection to which different 'rules' apply.

Using a powerline between the ONT and the router does work, I tried it myself just to see if it works. The only downside is that it is only really suitable for Ultrafast (145 Mbps) because even using AV1200 powerlines the connection tops out at around 230 Mbps.

Yes, it’s crazy.  I recently looked at a new build flat myself.  Nice shiny ONT in the utility room.  No way to connect it to anywhere else.  I think the architects are assuming everyone uses wireless today but as I understand it, they now use foil backed plasterboard, so good luck there.

Anyway, you can’t have two routers in a network.  The big problem is the DHCPs clash.  You could make it work by reducing the second one to just a wireless access point (WAP) but in that case, why not just buy a WAP and save the hassle?  You’d still need to run a cable to the living room etc. to connect it.  Wireless mesh system, perhaps?

Powerline adapters are also naff in my experience.  You might get away with running one just for the WAN link but you won’t get performance anywhere close to ultrafast fibre.

Sean.97
Topic Author

Great I wouldn't be suprised if there's foil backed plaster boards in this flat, like can understand from insulation point of view but for boardband it's just gonna kill the signal especially on a ONT set up like mine.

Well guess I can rule the powerline adapter and second router out the picture. Back to square one haha.

Do yous just use the standard sky router for 500 mb package (superfast plus etc) or have yous upgraded, just wondering if you'd see much difference if I upgraded my router? 

This message was authored by Deb3000 This message was authored by: Deb3000

I’m still on FTTC, so the question doesn’t apply.

If you do go for your own router, just be aware that a lot of the previous/current-ish generation of routers were built with FTTC/VDSL in mind.  Even where they have gigabit ports, the firewall throughput usually maxed out at 300-450Mb/s.  If you get one make sure it is capable of FTTP speeds.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Sean.97 you can get faster powerline adapters I find those from Devolo are good they do a system rated at 2400Mb/s. I have never used these adapters for WAN usage myself but my lower rated versions have wotked well on my LAN for 3 years. These units use all 3 mains conductors and I think should deliver near gigabit speeds on the same ring main if plugged into wall dockets but aren't cheap. Buy online as then they can go back if they dont work.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion