Discussion topic: ONT in cupboard, Move Router to living room??

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

Re: ONT in cupboard, Move Router to living room??

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Chrisee wrote:

@Sean.97 you can get faster powerline adapters I find those from Devolo are good they do a system rated at 2400Mb/s. I have never used these adapters for WAN usage myself but my lower rated versions have wotked well on my LAN for 3 years. These units use all 3 mains conductors and I think should deliver near gigabit speeds on the same ring main if plugged into wall dockets but aren't cheap. Buy online as then they can go back if they dont work.

There's a review of the Devolo 2400 powerlines here. At best they got less than 500 Mbps  with two powerlines in the same room.

@simon194 

Manufacturer labelling of Powerline hardware left any kind of sense a long time ago.  You can almost feel the reviewers struggling not to actually call them out on the sheer ludicrousness of implying 2400Mbs (or frankly even a tenth of that), is likely to be achievable in most circumstances.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@simon194 

Manufacturer labelling of Powerline hardware left any kind of sense a long time ago.  You can almost feel the reviewers struggling not to actually call them out on the sheer nonsense of implying 2400Mbs (or frankly even a tenth of that), is likely to be achievable in most circumstances.

I can only assume they expect consumers to wire their own 10cm electrical cable between the two units to achieve the 2400mbps🤣

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion