Discussion topic: New cabling requires following engineer visit as cable is damaged. No updates from SKY for 2 weeks

This message was authored by AM49 This message was authored by: AM49

New cabling requires following engineer visit as cable is damaged. No updates from SKY for 2 weeks

Hello, I've tried to reach out to Sky about this but they've just told me to wait until I get an update on the 19th. 

We had an engineer visit to install our new sky fibre on the 4th June. He said the external cabling is damanged so contractors will need to come out to install the new cables. They've come to mark out where the cables are, but we haven't heard anything from Sky since, saying we don't get an update on what's happening until the 19th. 

Our current internet is being switched off on the 21st June with Virgin. 

I understand that a different company will be installing the new cables, but surely we can get an idea of if this is evening been booked in? And how long we're going to have to wait? As the mark up was done over a week and a half ago and the sky engineer mentioned that the contractors aren't that busy at the moment.. and the engineer has set up the cabling inside the house, it's just the cabling in the street that needs to be updated as it's faulty. 

But we've not not been able to get any updates for two weeks! 

My husband is disabled and has an alert home care system that runs through the internet, hence why we need to have the internet up asap! My granddaughter also lives with us and works from home and needs the internet for her job! 

Has anyone else had a similar problem and get any response from sky? 

If we're just going to get an update on the 19th June saying our order is still going to be delayed surely they can let us know now so we can try and make some other arrangements. 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: New cabling requires following engineer visit as cable is damaged. No updates from SKY for 2 wee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AM49 

In the UK such work would be carried out by Openreach or one of their subcontractors, while in RoI it would be OpenEir.

Unfortunately a Sky installer really isn't in any position to know the work schedule and availability of either of these companies.

Generally speaking, it's best not to end a Virgin contract until FTTP is in place and known to be working: the system has no provision for an interim solution in the case of delay, and the best you're likely to do is cellular data sourced by yourself.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion