Discussion topic: My broadband contract is under my ex partner's name and I am moving house

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

My broadband contract is under my ex partner's name and I am moving house

I am moving house this week after 3 years and the broadband contract is under my ex partner's name. There is no way to contact her and I tried everything so far. How can I end the contract myself? I have the tenancy agreement to prove we rented the place together at first and also the amended contract when she moved out. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: My broadband contract is under my ex partner's name and I am moving house

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous 

I would appreciate it if you didnt speak to me like that. You've posted on a public forum, where anyone can reply if they wish. The forum is mostly maintained by fellow customers, you are not speaking to Sky.

The reason I have not suggested any straightforward solution is because there isnt one. Due to GDPR sky just wont speak to you about someone elses account and I do not want to give you false information regarding what to do next. Technically its your ex who is responsible for the account so whatever happens to it they are liable for any debts/charges etc, they should not have left it in their name. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Anonymous 

Its a tricky one, unless you were put down as a delegated contact previously Sky would not let you cancel or complete a home move without the account holders permission. 

Really you should have never taken on the contract in the first place, they should have cancelled and you should have started a new account under your name.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Thank you for reaplying but "should have" is not really helpful right now. Also unless there is an actual solution to my query I don't see the point of replying for the sake of it. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@Anonymous 

I would appreciate it if you didnt speak to me like that. You've posted on a public forum, where anyone can reply if they wish. The forum is mostly maintained by fellow customers, you are not speaking to Sky.

The reason I have not suggested any straightforward solution is because there isnt one. Due to GDPR sky just wont speak to you about someone elses account and I do not want to give you false information regarding what to do next. Technically its your ex who is responsible for the account so whatever happens to it they are liable for any debts/charges etc, they should not have left it in their name. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Anonymous 

Although the account is in your ex's name who's account do the payments come out of? Can you contact your ex through family or mutual friends as it'll be in her interest to cancel?

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion