Discussion topic: Moving router

This message was authored by LRoxk This message was authored by: LRoxk

Moving router

IMG_3182.jpeg

IMG_3185.jpeg

IMG_3186.jpeg

Hi there 

I recently moved to a new house and the main openreach socket is in my sons room upstairs - now behind all the furniture out of necessity . I have my sky router plugged into it - also behind all the furniture . (See pics) 

the signal is rubbish even with an extender (old house , thick walls) and it's really annoying having the router where it is . I'd much prefer to have it downstairs . Is there anything I can do without having to pay for an engineer to come out ? 

Answers for dummies only please I don't understand any of it . There are sockets and telephone sockety things all over the house if that's of interest (see pic) 

All Replies

This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

Re: Moving router

As you have a new full fibre ont all the previous copper phone wiring is redundant and those sockets are just dust traps

if you have boost as part of your subscription you can call Sky's technical team and they may be able to arrange boosters 

Depending on how you feel about wiring you can buy a long length Ethernet cable to allow you to move the router to a more central location to maximum the WiFi signal

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Moving router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@LRoxk definitely movecthe Sky hub from behind furniture as mentioned you can change the ethernet lead from the ONT - the unit with green lights - to the hub. You can buy ethernet leads on line or in most electrical or DIY store as long as you need it doesnt have to be anything special. Place the hub on a shelf if you can as that will improve wifi. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion