Discussion topic: Issues connecting to work VPN

This message was authored by SCran83 This message was authored by: SCran83

Re: Issues connecting to work VPN

Hi all, 

I was VM for 18 months, absolutely no problem with work VPN. Move to SKY nearly a year ago now and had problems from the beginning. Put up with it for a while and finally got fed up. Change the parental settings on My Sky, no joy! Spoke to SKY did a hard reset of the router, no joy! The only thing that has worked is a wired connection, stable for 8 hours straight. Seems to indicate a problem with the wireless aspect and VPN?? Will ring SKY again at some point and repost, although this thread is old.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SCran83 

If it works while on ethernet this just suggests the WiFi environment is poor within your home and nothing to do with the VPN. VPN's require a steady uninterrupted connection so running one over WiFi can be troublesome

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

There's not much in the way of disruption and when tested the speed is 80mb up to 300mb. Shouldn't really be a problem. As mentioned, no issues with VM either, exactly the same environment.

This message was authored by Colin0000 This message was authored by: Colin0000

@SCran83 wrote:

There's not much in the way of disruption and when tested the speed is 80mb up to 300mb. Shouldn't really be a problem. As mentioned, no issues with VM either, exactly the same environment.

Is that 80 to 300 Mbps on the same device becuase that's a huge spread.

I use Amazon Workspace for work and ProtonVPN Free for personal use and have had no issues either wired or WiFi so it's certainly not a universal problem.

Sky Q 2GB 32B106 - HDMI to TV, hard wired to router with WiFi disabled on the Q box
Sky Ultrafast1 FTTP 150Mbps
Sky SR203 router
Samsung S95C 55"

That's right, depends on time of day, other devices in the house, how close I am to the router. Just checked now and it's 91mbps. Not on VPN (Sophos Connect - work VPN), at the moment, so everything is fine.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SCran83 the degree of variation of wifi speed suggests wifi interference which will as @jamesn123 suggests destabilise VPN traffic while bandwidth is important so is tge quality of the signal you need low jitter. Its worth considering how you can improve things first  by making sure your hub is not under or behind furniture. Also consider if any devices that use wireless are nearc the hub - DECT phones, wireless speakers etc. as these can cause issues.

If still having the issue try rebooting the SkybhubSky hub as that forces it to find the least congested wifi channel in your area. Downloading a Wifi analyzer app onto a phone or laptop will show the wifi networks in your area any other network on the same or adacent channel can cause interference.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by bhowells123 This message was authored by: bhowells123

My wife had similar issues. If we now unplug our sky q, she can then log in to her work system with no issue and then when she's in we just plug sky q back in.

Have to do every morning tho 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

This message was authored by RevinKevin This message was authored by: RevinKevin

I have had the same problems for months!

When i turned the Sky Q off the problem dissapears, I have now turned off the wifi mesh on the SkyQ and no further issues. Also get better network speeds (over wifi) now too.

This message was authored by Fairy_Godmother This message was authored by: Fairy_Godmother

VPN connected perfectly for around a year until about a week ago when every time I tried to log into the VPN it would disconnect the wifi which then obviously caused the VPN to cut out and the cycle would repeat every 30 seconds or so.

Just checked installed programmes and my work laptop must have been updated by IT because McAfee WebAdvisor was installed around when this started.

I've uninstalled it and now and it's connecting perfectly again!

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion