Discussion topic: Issues connecting to work VPN

This message was authored by HareKrishna This message was authored by: HareKrishna

Re: Issues connecting to work VPN

it was resolved after driver was updated on my system in my case.

This message was authored by Ravsingh19 This message was authored by: Ravsingh19

I've had the same issue, restarting the router seem to fix the issue.

This message was authored by Manio89 This message was authored by: Manio89

I've had the same issue for the past 3 weeks when the vpn was installed on my laptop. I've now downloaded a separate software to bypass the 'firewall' and now fully connected to the VPN!

This message was authored by Sawbones49 This message was authored by: Sawbones49

Thanks very much for all the helpful replies which gave me confidence to lay the blame firmly at the door of NHS IT. After some persuasion they did admit the problem was with their network and - surprise, surprise - many other users had reported the same issue. The solution was to take the laptop into premises on the same domain, connect physically rather than thru wifi and watch the update which contains something that enable connection over Sky. It now works perfectly. 
Once again, thank you for your help. 

This message was authored by OJR This message was authored by: OJR

@HareKrishna   could you provide anything more specific please?  I'm struggling with this issue now and Sky and IT Dept being no help at all... thanks 

@Manio89   could you say what software you installed please as i'm struggling with this same issue now. 

This message was authored by Manio89 This message was authored by: Manio89

Hi mate... sadly, right after posting this comment, the vpn dropped and I went back to square one..sorry 😫

However, it turned out to be a Eindows Security issue, nothing to do with Sky! All you need to do is delete the latest Security update from Windows and you should be good to go. It's worked absolutely brilliant for the past two weeks!

steps to doing this can be found on here:

https://thegeekpage.com/the-l2tp-connection-attempt-failed-because-the-security-layer-encountered-a-...

or just type 'the l2tp connection attemp failed because the security layer encountered a processing error ..' in Google and it's the first link

Hi mate, thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it.  Will get this updated and fingers crossed that'll fix it. 

This message was authored by Dharma This message was authored by: Dharma

I had the same problem this morning as I couldn't connect to my VPN on my PC or phone when I was using Sky Broadband (both cable and wlan). However I could connect to my VPN using my phone disabling the wlan hence using mobile network.  This confirms that the problem is in either your own router or on the Sky's end. 

I restarted my router which immediatly fixed the issue. If this stay as such the problem def is in the router's software which luckily is trivial to fix in this case.

Lets see it the problem reoccurs.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Dharma 

It isn't the firmware on the router, it is actually the public IP address that has changed when you reboot the router and in your case, the old dynamic public IP address allocated by Sky to your broadband connection had been blacklisted by the VPN provider, eg: usually the work's VPN system.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Dharma This message was authored by: Dharma

Thank you!

In general it is intresting that the VPN provider would blacklist my IP but it makes sense ofc in this case. 

This message was authored by DaddyBav This message was authored by: DaddyBav

My work VPN wouldn't work with my Sky internet/boradband - long story short it was resolved by removing my mesh/booster from the router port which was attatched through a CAT5 cable.

Hi, our company's  IT advisors found my issue was Dell Optimisation software that was resetting security, firewall etc permissions. Once that dell  software was removed it's worked perfectly over vpn since then. 

This message was authored by garyas This message was authored by: garyas

In the end the only solution was to move broadband providers.  

There have been no issues since using a competitor's broadband.  

This message was authored by Barney21 This message was authored by: Barney21

Hi 

I've got VPN for a desktop no problems,but I've recently be gave a work iPad it will not let me connect through VPN to the internet has anyone any solutions. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion