Discussion topic: Internet speed is far lower than what I’m paying for and intrrmitent at times

This message was authored by Richylea00 This message was authored by: Richylea00

Internet speed is far lower than what I’m paying for and intrrmitent at times

I'm getting less than 100mb download and paying for 1GB. It's been like this since the contract starts so unhappy about paying for something I'm not getting. 

Also we get a lot of drop out of internet so often unable to sustain and video call for longer periods. 

All Replies

Richylea00
Topic Author
This message was authored by Richylea00 This message was authored by: Richylea00

Re: Internet speed is far lower than what I’m paying for and intrrmitent at times

IMG_8474.jpeg

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Internet speed is far lower than what I’m paying for and intrrmitent at times

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Richylea00 you appear to be testing over wifi connection so all you are probably measuring is the speed of the wifi connection from the device to the hub. If you want to test the speed to the hub which is what Sky guarantee you have to use a proven fast connection which is a direct gigabit Ethernet cable.

Sky dont guarantee speeds over WiFi as part of their basic package if you buy their WiFi Max bundle they will guarantee a minimum of 25Mb/s. WiFi speeds depend on the layout and type of construction of your home.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Richylea00
Topic Author

IMG_8475.jpeg

Richylea00
Topic Author

This is on my computer that is cat cable connected and not on wifi 

Richylea00
Topic Author

Also why would i pay max wifi only guarentees me a 1/4 of the speed im currently getting!

Richylea00
Topic Author

If this can't be rectified I'd like to cancel my contract and refund what I've paid so far as I'm paying for something that has no value to me. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Richylea00 wrote:

Also why would i pay max wifi only guarentees me a 1/4 of the speed im currently getting!

The guaranteed minimum WiFi speed is the trigger point for the loan of booster pods.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Richylea00
Topic Author

This does not explain why I'm only getting such slow speeds. Imy computer is Ethernet direct to the sky hub and only getting 92.25mb download 

Richylea00
Topic Author

This message was authored by HiHowAreYa This message was authored by: HiHowAreYa

What CAT is the ethernet cable rated for? CAT5 is only rated for 10/100mb

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Richylea00 it looks suspiciously like the ethernet port on your PC is delivering fast ethernet which is 100Mb/s which after allowing for network overheads is likely to give a speed test of 90Mb/s which is why I said test using a Gigabit Ethernet connection (1000Mb/s). Check your network settings as it maybe possible to change the setting to Gigabit While the cable could be the issue it is more likely to be the port  .

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Richylea00 wrote:

Imy computer is Ethernet direct to the sky hub and only getting 92.25mb download 

As @Chrisee indicates, 92Mbs is exactly what would be expected as throughput on a 100Mbs ethernet chipset.  The suspicion would be that auto-negotiation has misfired, that one or both ethernet sockets are set to fast ethernet rather than gigabit, that the ethernet cable is four rather than eight strand, or that the PC is actually of a vintage to have a 100Mbs chipset.

@Richylea00 

Or that ethernet to USB adapter is running at 100Mbs rather than gigabit...

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion