Discussion topic: Incompatible Router

This message was authored by Michellebo This message was authored by: Michellebo

Incompatible Router

Hi,

I upgraded and signed a new contract a while back for superfast broadband. I was advised my landline would now go through the internet. However there is no port in the back of my router to be able to plug in my landline, only two ethernet ports and a power port. 

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Incompatible Router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Michellebo   I've escalated your post via the community chat. This link explains how it works https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147#M1014

Keep an eye out for an invite or blue chat bubble.

When the blue bubble does appear you have 48 hours to respond or it will be automatically closed.

Be reassured the email & message is from Sky and your details are safe and secure.
If you are using Safari please make sure that Hide IP Address is not checked in order to see the blue bubble. If you are having trouble finding this to check the settings, use another browser such as Firefox, Chrome etc.

I would also recommend that if not already on, that you turn email/private message notifications on to avoid missing any alerts

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Michellebo 

If you are being provisioned with a broadband product that includes Sky Talk using VOIP, an existing Q Hub would be replaced with a Sky Broadband Hub, as the latter has the required 'phone port'.  Checking existing equipment assigned to the account and arranging despatch of hardware if required should be an automated process, but won't happen until just before the new service goes live.

Three Sky Hubs.png

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by paulw12345 This message was authored by: paulw12345

I have just signed up for broadband to.

The advisor was very careful about whether i use a landline, and hence what package was sold to me. My new sky router sould have a UKphone plug on the back to plug my bt landline phone into, and 4 ethernet ports.

Sounds like you have wrong router sent out or sky wrong phone package......

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@paulw12345 

What package did you want?

What package did they sell you?

Fttc sogea uses internet calls and

Fttp uses internet calls

Therefore you should have been sent the router you describe otherwise you get the er115

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by paulw12345 This message was authored by: paulw12345

I haven't got fibre to the property yet, although it is coming very soon.

"Fttc sogea uses internet calls", is what iam expecting.

Although the sky advisor said it would be no problem upgrading when FTTP arrives at my house.

Not sure how the fibre to property team will know i want it though............

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@paulw12345 

keep an eye on this

Enter you full postal address below 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

As soon as wbc fttp shows available then call sky to upgrade

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@paulw12345 wrote:

Not sure how the fibre to property team will know i want it though............

The Openreach team who equip an address with an optical cable and an ONT neither know or care what the ISP is intending to provision over it.  The main point to ponder in advance is where it is best for you that the ONT is located.

@paulw12345 

Basically that is the openreach database as held by bt wholesale.

Give it a go now if you wish. Enter your full postal address and post the table after removing your address from the image. It will give you an idea of what to look for

@cookiemonsteruk 

Thanks for that

It says FTTP download=330 upload=50  availability date=available

but right at bottom

FTTP is not available.

does that mean it is in the cabinet40, but optical fibre still needs to be laid to my property?

@paulw12345 wrote:

"Fttc sogea uses internet calls", is what iam expecting.

SOGEA is by definition broadband supplied without associated PSTN service, so voice calls have to use VOIP.  There are 'Single Order' variants of FTTC, FTTP and even ADSL.

@paulw12345 

Fttp on demand is mainly a business product as the customer has to pay all costs

The flavour of fttp you are looking for will appear below the two vdsl rows and will read "wbc fttp" which is the fttp we end up getting

Michellebo
Topic Author
This message was authored by Michellebo This message was authored by: Michellebo

Hi,

I was provisioned with superfast broadband ages ago and the router was never changed. Looks like i need the correct router please.

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@paulw12345 

Fttp on demand is mainly a business product as the customer has to pay all costs

And is consequently more-or-less non-existent in practice.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/04/openreach-may-stop-selling-fttp-on-demand-broadband-pr... 

@Michellebo 

Do you still have a working landline via the phone port on an Openreach wall socket faceplate?

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion