Discussion topic: Hive hub not connecting to internet

This message was authored by 1topgazza This message was authored by: 1topgazza

Hive hub not connecting to internet

Trying a new Hive Hub to control my heating and water. However, it's failed at the first hurdle. The Hive hub refuses to connect to the internet. The Sky admin syslog shows constant attempts to connect via the Port 4 Ethernet port it's plugged into but it only hold for a second. Sheild is turned off and I have no blocking of websites enabled. Tried it in next doors BT router and still no connection. Sounds obvious that the Hive is faulty

But does anyone have any experiences with this problem please ? This is Ethernet on the LAN. Not WiFi

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Hive hub not connecting to internet

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@1topgazza 

Yeah its a really good system and never had an issue with it other than last year when Hive servers went down for about 6 hours. We just use the unit control buttons during that time.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@1topgazza 

If it doesnt work on a completely separate router from a different company then its got to be faulty.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
1topgazza
Topic Author

I know 😀

It sounds obvious doesn't it ? But just wondered if anyone had experienced similar.

Spoke to Hive first line support on Friday. And as a network engineer I knew more than they did. The Hive is a dumb box with no factory reset. I suspect a corrupted internet software. Still waiting for second line support to call

Not impressed. If my Existing hardwired boiler controls failed I'd pop down to Screwfix and buy another for £40. If the Hive fails it sounds like a week to ten days before I get a replacement.

Think I'll stick to the old fashioned system

@1topgazza 

Only thing I can suggest is try changing the ethernet mode to 'Fast' in the hubs settings. This often fixes issues with LAN devices that come with poor quality ethernet cables like the Hive hub. However i doubt this will work if it didnt work with a different router.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
1topgazza
Topic Author

Thanks

I'll try that but swapped Ethernet cable over for a quality one anyway

1topgazza
Topic Author

Forgot

its on fast already

@1topgazza 

Has to be faulty then

I am NOT a Sky Employee
1topgazza
Topic Author

Just spoke to them again, as I did on Friday

Very helpful but escalated and could take 2-3 days for second line support to get back to me. They would then, I assume, have to ship a new one out so another 2 days. Not impressive if it was in the middle of January with snow on the ground ! The support is too slow for such a vital piece of kit. So I cancelled and got a returns number

Glad the Sky Q router is OK, as I knew it was. I appreciate your help

@1topgazza 

You know you can press heat & hot water on the main unit without the use of the hub?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
1topgazza
Topic Author

Literally just read that James 😂😂😂

I quite liked the way the Hive fitted in with my current system. Just a small connection between live and demand wire in the old room thermostat wiring. 
I guess you have one ? Might order a fresh one and try again

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@1topgazza 

Yeah its a really good system and never had an issue with it other than last year when Hive servers went down for about 6 hours. We just use the unit control buttons during that time.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
1topgazza
Topic Author

My son it and he swears by it as well. I'll order another one 😀

Thanks again

This message was authored by Victor+Von+Vunder This message was authored by: Victor+Von+Vunder

So I've just switched to sky everything after 18 years with BT and I wasn't looking forward to it - so range ok not brilliant but Hive not working - I've got to compromise on security by turning the shield off to protect me from malware and still no connection between sky Q and the hive so no heating. New boiler from BG didn't come with override manual. What are skys plans to work with Hive so we can have remote heating and not compromise security 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Victor+Von+Vunder like @jamesn123 I have Hive and the little box that links to the router is a weak point and Hive support are useless in my experience but once connected it works.  My own Hive hu sorted itself out when left alone overnight saving it being thrown through the window. Once working the system is excellent. Sky's systems support Hive as both James and myself can testify so there is no setting Sky need to change. When I had my issue with Hive I was using BT rather than Sky by the way. 

@1topgazza try another LAN port as on the SR203 hub LAN port 4 is the one that can be remapped as a WAN port for FTTP who knows maybe that is the problem.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

@Victor+Von+Vunder 

Sky shield really doesnt have that much security. What do you think people did before Sky Shield?

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion