Discussion topic: Getting an engineer visit for elderly mother

This message was authored by beach2 This message was authored by: beach2

Getting an engineer visit for elderly mother

My elderly mother switched to Sky broadband/phone/TV 2 days ago but can't get connected. Sky sent her all the equipment but she couldn't set it up. I live 20 miles away and don't drive but got a friend to take me there yesterday and after 2 hours of trying we also couldn't get her connected.

She has no internet or landline phone and needs both for keeping in touch with relatives, and online food shopping and banking. She has an old Nokia, not a smart phone, so I texted her Sky's number and she has been calling Sky to ask to send an engineer out to set her up but is getting nowhere. They keep asking for information she doesn't have, and she's been hung up on a few times. 

I can't phone as I'm not the account holder,  don't know her account number or answers to her security questions., I emailed Sky customer services but got an automated reply telling me to get help via their website, but I'm, not with Sky and have no products with them so can't book an engineer for her online. 

My mother is 86 with health issues and all she wants is to book an engineer visit on the phone but she's not getting any help and doesn't know what to do. She's paying for a service that she can't connect to. 

Thanks for any advice. 

All Replies

This message was authored by JimM1 This message was authored by: JimM1

Re: Getting an engineer visit for elderly mother

@beach2 

My advice to you would be as follows.

Take a trip to your mothers and call sky on the number you have from the mobile when there.

Explain to the advisor that you are there, she is 86yrs young person, have them ask her something

relevant that she will know or remember, they will also ask for aprovall to then speak to you,

Register with the advisor, that she is elderly and needs assistance.

They are very helpfull and understanding to these type of situations BUT YOU HAVE TO BE WITH

HER to get past the security.

I have the same situation as my dad is 85yrs young and i look after all of this for him.....

There is no easy solution to this untill the system is up and running, then 150 on the Landline

registers the caller ID from phone and this becomes a lot simpler then.

Be sure to let them know the status of your mother I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH....

Hope this helps

Regards Jim

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Getting an engineer visit for elderly mother

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@beach2 wrote:

My elderly mother switched to Sky broadband/phone/TV 2 days ago but can't get connected. Sky sent her all the equipment but she couldn't set it up. 

@beach2 
In your Mums circumstances it may be worth her registering with the Sky Accessibility Team who may be able to help her now or in the future. Once registered there are also different methods of communication with this team
https://www.skyaccessibility.sky/

For new connections Sky don't just send equipment out. The Sky TV  box (presumably Sky Q) is brought by an engineer along with a Sky satellite dish, remote and cables. What is delivered is the router with instructions on connection and details of when the subscription will be activated.

With regards you speaking to Sky on her behalf she needs to call Sky and make sure she has set up a telephone password. You can then use that to speak to Sky on her behalf. You'll be able to carry out most things except cancelling any part of her subscription. Any call to Sky regarding this issue would be better with you present (or perhaps a friend or trusted neighbour maybe). 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion