Discussion topic: FTTP Ultrafast Speeds

This message was authored by ChrisKJ This message was authored by: ChrisKJ

FTTP Ultrafast Speeds

This was installed 9 days ago, I've got the Ultrafast package with a supposed download speed of 145Mbps.

I've been monitoring the speeds, a few times a day & night, the upload speed has been a consistant 28Mbps, however, the download speed has flucuated between 79 & 94 Mbps, with 46 measurements averaging 89Mbps. Tested via a Cat6 cable between my PC & the router & using Speedtest by Ookla & fast.com, with only smart bulbs/plugs sharing the bandwidth.

The router no longer reports the broadband link connection speed.

I'm aware of the up to 14 testing period, but Openreach (working next door) have informed me that the speed should have been higher at some points, like nearer to 145Mbps.

If it stays at this 89Mbps average, I'll get 2 months for free, because of the gaurentee, but it's not the service I'm paying for: upto 145Mbps isn't 89, 120, yeah acceptable.

I'm getting a bit concerened as I approach the 14 day cooling off period is vastly approaching.

Apart from a call to Sky to cancel, is there anything else I can do?

Cheers.

Best Answers
ChrisKJ
Topic Author
This message was authored by ChrisKJ This message was authored by: ChrisKJ Answer

Re: FTTP Ultrafast Speeds

@Chrisee @jamesn123 

Thanks both for your help. 

I've fixed the issue.

Openreach installed the fibre last week, he asked if I had an ethernet cable to go to the router, because there wasn't one in the box with the ONT, & asked if one should be provided, he said yes, then went & got one from his van, I'd just assumed, him being a network engineer, that he knew what he was doing. 

I was wrong, he had fitted a Cat5 cable.

I just had a eureka moment & checked the only thing I hadn't previously checked & fitted a Cat6 from the ONT to the router.

Bang! 150Mbps on my phone & that's on WiFi, with 28 other devices still attached, just as it should be.

So due to my "irrelevant" knowledge & skills, I've sorted out my problem, that Openreach caused.

I'll again apologise to you both for my unintentional harsh tone,  as explained above. 

Cheers.

Screenshot_20221117_190602.jpg

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ChrisKJ it is possible that there is an issue with your connection being restricted at Sky's end but it is unlikely. To prove it is an issue at Sky's dnd your speed test needs to be run under controlled conditions which are use a device which is connected by gigabit ethernet directly to the hub and when no other device is using bandwidth. Then you should see speed tests around 145Mb/s as Openreach suggested.

If the result is still low call Sky and report the issue but also post your result here as one of the Superusers can add you to a thread in our closed forum Skybstaff can see.

Tests report the slowest part of the transfer so often just report the wifi speed in your home hence the requirement to use ethernet. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@ChrisKJ 

Can you post your router stats for us? Ideally can you post one set without you using the connection and then another midway through a speedtest

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
ChrisKJ
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

This isn't about WiFi.

If you re read my post, I'm connected via Cat6 from my PC directly to the router. 

Yes, I  do have a few smart plugs & bulbs connected, but there is no way, it's not even possible, that they are using the lost 55Mbps, they use a few Kbps, at the very most. 

I've used various software applications such as, but not limited to, Speedtest by Ookla,  Wireshark & CMD.

All are reporting the same speeds.

This isn't a problem at my end, I've got a degree in computer science & know how to test correctly. 

ChrisKJ
Topic Author

@jamesn123 

The SR203 router no longer reports the downstream connection or speeds, since being connected to the Openreach ONT.

@ChrisKJ if you had read my post the reason for running the test in the way I asked and posting it is so we can add to the list of cases. Your qualifications are irrelevant but you should know running tests under controlled conditions is fundamental to establishing the cause. However as you know best suggesst you call Sky and hope they listen.

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@ChrisKJ 

Im not looking for your connection stats I'm looking for the live Tx & Rx when your network is 'Idle' and then are running the speedtest to see if that bandwidth is making it through your WAN connection and whether there is any idle devices using bandwidth in the background.

I appreciate you may be tech minded and have a good understanding of how to look at these problems but its a bit silly post on a forum asking for help and then snap back at anyone who offers advice or to see some network test results. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
ChrisKJ
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

Like I said, I've run all the tests possible, from my end. In the last 10 days, all under controlled industry standard conditions. 

I appreciate your input & apologise for my tone, I'm autistic I have difficulty communicating "normally", no harm was intended. 

ChrisKJ
Topic Author

@jamesn123 wrote:

@ChrisKJ 

Im not looking for your connection stats I'm looking for the live Tx & Rx when your network is 'Idle' and then are running the speedtest to see if that bandwidth is making it through your WAN connection and whether there is any idle devices using bandwidth in the background.

I appreciate you may be tech minded and have a good understanding of how to look at these problems but its a bit silly post on a forum asking for help and then snap back at anyone who offers advice or to see some network test results. 

@jamesn123 

I appreciate your input & apologise for my tone, I'm autistic I have difficulty communicating "normally", no harm was intended. 

I've tested the Tx/Rx both when idle & when running 3 different speed tests, the same average 89Mbps is getting through. 

The other connected devices can only physically use a few Kbps, being plus & bulbs. 

Like I said, thanks for the input. 

@ChrisKJ if you post the result confirming nothing else was running when tested I will add it to the list of cases.However do reportvthe issue to Sky as they cant directly link your account to a post.

ChrisKJ
Topic Author

@Chrisee 

Due to disability, I'll have to get someone round to remove & temporarily replace all the smart bulbs, the plugs I can reach. 

However, this will cost me & I find it completely unnecessary, considering the tiny amounts of bandwidth these devices can possibly use.

If on day 13 the speed isn't nearer 145Mbps, than the average 89Mbps, I'll contact Sky to potentially cancel the contract, as per my cooling off period rights, unless they can correct the issue. 

ChrisKJ
Topic Author
This message was authored by ChrisKJ This message was authored by: ChrisKJ Answer

@Chrisee @jamesn123 

Thanks both for your help. 

I've fixed the issue.

Openreach installed the fibre last week, he asked if I had an ethernet cable to go to the router, because there wasn't one in the box with the ONT, & asked if one should be provided, he said yes, then went & got one from his van, I'd just assumed, him being a network engineer, that he knew what he was doing. 

I was wrong, he had fitted a Cat5 cable.

I just had a eureka moment & checked the only thing I hadn't previously checked & fitted a Cat6 from the ONT to the router.

Bang! 150Mbps on my phone & that's on WiFi, with 28 other devices still attached, just as it should be.

So due to my "irrelevant" knowledge & skills, I've sorted out my problem, that Openreach caused.

I'll again apologise to you both for my unintentional harsh tone,  as explained above. 

Cheers.

Screenshot_20221117_190602.jpg

This message was authored by Me1977 This message was authored by: Me1977

Hi I know that it was a while back you originally posted but as a fibre engineer I just wanted to point out that we don't get issued Ethernet cables Cat5 or CAT6. It is up to the customers internet provider to supply them. The engineer probably just had one in his van he gave you. If he hadn't you would have either needed to contact SKY to get one sent out or bought one yourself. 

@Me1977 thank you that is useful to know. .

Sky normally send out a short Ethernet cable in the box with the hub or if the customer already has a SR203 hub they send a so-called "conversion kit" which is simply the Ethernet Cable on its own. 

Just to clarify Cat5 cables should noot be used as its maximum speed is limited but Cat5e or above are fine for gigabit connections up to 100m. You would hard pushed to buy much anything else these days but using old cables out of drawers/vans can cause these issues. 😀

This message was authored by Me1977 This message was authored by: Me1977

Totally agree. Unfortunately as an engineer the service providers cause all sorts of problems for us. Either no info to customers, wrong info, not sending out new cables or even new routers. 
That's is why engineers collect 

spare Ethernet cables to give to customers as they have usually lost the original they got with the router or the provider hasn't sent one out. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion