Discussion topic: Ethernet wall ports not working

This message was authored by Kinga1 This message was authored by: Kinga1

Ethernet wall ports not working

Hello,

Just moved to a new build, I've got a openreach modem, sky router and several telephone sockets scattered around the house. Would really like to connect my PS5 directly to my router for best speed however the telephone socket near my ps5 doesn't seem to work when I connect Ethernet cable to it. 
My router is plugged into my modem upstairs, there is a telephone socket near that too. I plugged in the router to the socket via Ethernet cable, then the socket downstairs via Ethernet cable to my ps5 but I'm not getting a connection. Tried to change the socket to an Ethernet Jack as well , re wired, but that also doesn't work. I am clueless as to what am I doing wrong?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Ethernet wall ports not working

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Kinga1 you will need to check how the ethernet ports are wired in most new builds they should run back to a central point like a comms cupboard. You would then need an ethernet switch to connect those back to the Sky hub. However buliders can make an absolute mess of wiring network ports so nothing is guaranteed. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kinga1 

Let's clear up some terminology:

Is the 'openreach modem' an ONT for an FTTP service?

Are the 'telephone sockets' BT Jack or ethernet ports?

Is the cabling in the walls between those ports phone pair or eight-core?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Kinga1
Topic Author

thank you, no clue how to check how they are all connected or wired.. wouldn't be surprised if they're not connected to anything tbh 

Kinga1
Topic Author

6B69AFDF-D3FD-4CF3-B3F1-71DB385656E8.jpeg

Hello! I'm so sorry I have no clue.. I will attach a photo, the sockets I believe are telephone sockets- when I looked at them there's 4 pairs of cables blue orange green brown with their white equivalents, only 2 pairs connected, the brown and green pairs are disconnected 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Kinga1 

As @Chrisee indicates, modern ethernet is not a 'ring' technology: it connects points, typically through an 'ethernet switch' (which is actually a splitter/duplicator: there's one built into every ISP router)

In a new-build property you'd hope the developers ran ethernet cabling from each equipped room back to a central point such as a utility cupboard or other enclosure: the occupant is typically expected to provide a switch and patch cables.

@Kinga1 wrote:

I will attach a photo,

OK: that's an Openreach ONT, so it's FTTP broadband

the sockets I believe are telephone sockets- when I looked at them there's 4 pairs of cables blue orange green brown with their white equivalents, only 2 pairs connected, the brown and green pairs are disconnected 

4 pairs in those colours is ethernet cable, but it sounds like the developer is using it as phone pairs and that won't work for ethernet: all eight strands need punching down for data transit.

@Kinga1 

Actually, two pairs can work for 100Mbs transit if in the correct punchdown.

Kinga1
Topic Author

Purchased Ethernet faceplates and re wired with all 4 pairs unfortunately still no connection, what else can I do?

@Kinga1 

Presumably you're only guessing those two ends are actually the same cable, which is frankly unlikely.  I'd suggest hunting for a collection of such sockets hidden somewhere in a cupboard (and hope there's a power socket ; )

Note that if the developer has laid them in a ring, either intentionally as 'phone' extensions or because the electricians' NVQ lad didn't know how ethernet works, then it's never going to be useful for data transit.

Kinga1
Topic Author

So really no way of finding out if the socket from upstairs cupboard where modem and router is is actually connected to my downstairs socket, unless I tear my walls apart ☺️ I might give up just seems pointless to have these sockets everywhere if can't use them 

@Kinga1 wrote:

I might give up just seems pointless to have these sockets everywhere if can't use them 

Essentially yes: developers seem to think this is an easy value-add for property purchasers (and to be fair the cable, faceplates and labour cost a negligible amount for them to specify in a new-build) but they just don't seem to know how to do it properly: 'phone' extensions are essentially obsolete (or will be once PSTN service ends) and ethernet really needs to be installed by someone who understands LAN topology, has thought about the building floor plans and knows how to label things...

Kinga1
Topic Author

So if I were to try to get them working who would I need to ask electrician? Internet provider? Doesn't sound like I can do it myself kind of job 

@Kinga1 wrote:

who would I need to ask electrician? Internet provider?

Electricians only think in rings, and ISPs don't do such things other than a business consultancy rates.

An IT guy with access to a network cable tester* might at least be able to figure out where, if anywhere, those cable ends actually meet.

*The basic versions of these are also now extremely cheap, at least compared to someones' hourly rate.

PROCATTESTER.PNG

Kinga1
Topic Author

I actually got one of these don't know how to bloody use it tho haha! When I plug it in nothing lights up 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion