Discussion topic: Connection via existing FTTH box

This message was authored by mkjones This message was authored by: mkjones

Connection via existing FTTH box

Hi everyone, I'm just waiting for my new Sky fibre 500 MB Broadband to connect, previously with Virgin Media. 

I have a FTTH box under the stairs that we've never used. Here is a photo: 

IMG_1432.jpeg

I'd love to be able to use my new Sky broadband service with this but not entirely sure if this is possible. 

I have an ASUS RT-AC3200 router that I've used previous with Virgin. 

Any help appreciated. 

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Connection via existing FTTH box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mkjones 

All asus rt ac and rt ax routers should be compatible with skys authentication so you should be able to plug it directly into the fttp ont

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
mkjones
Topic Author
This message was authored by mkjones This message was authored by: mkjones

Lovely thanks @cookiemonsteruk do you have any insight into how the connection is set up? Is it simply via Ethernet using the FTTP box as a modem?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@mkjones 

With the asus on latest firmware you should see a field called client identifier (option 61)  the correct way of filling out that field is by typing in

anything@skydsl|anything

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@mkjones 

Yep. Just ethernet from the ont to the wan port on the asus

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mkjones 

For information, what you have there is a plastic enclosure containing an early model Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and a matching Battery Backup Unit (BBU)

thumbs_fttp_ont_and_bbu_open_lid_openreach (1).jpg

It's possible that the battery unit no longer charges: this isn't a deployment mode which is now in use.

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion