Discussion topic: Connect smart TV to broadband from different room

This message was authored by ChrisNorthLondon This message was authored by: ChrisNorthLondon

Connect smart TV to broadband from different room

Hello community, I'm looking for your advice. My Smart TV is in a different room to the Sky Broadband Hub and I'm wondering what the best approach is for connecting them.

In general a wired connection seems better than wifi in order to handle the data volume for high res video streaming, but I'm interested also in any advice that says it's best to simply connect to wifi. Wifi connection is generally fine in the TV room for normal computer usage.

I'd need to know where to get the necessary kit, but options might include extending the wifi or the socket through the electric plug sockets, running the whole router into the TV room via extension cable, or just extending the hub socket alone into the TV room.

My set up: SR203 Sky Broadband router going into a Huawei 1-port modem Optical Network Terminal, fibre to the home in North London.

thank you! Chris

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Connect smart TV to broadband from different room

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ChrisNorthLondonMight be an idea to look into powerline adapters if the wiring within your propery is of a good standard.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
ChrisNorthLondon
Topic Author
This message was authored by ChrisNorthLondon This message was authored by: ChrisNorthLondon

Thanks for the quick reply! Not sure about the wiring here but it might be fine.

Are powerline adaptors standard in that they can work for any hub/provider? (just connect the ethernet cable, plug into the electric socket and let it go). Or do I need to get specific Sky powerlines for it to work best with the Sky hub?

I'm looking at these ones at the moment: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlpa7017p-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10218370.html

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@ChrisNorthLondon wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! Not sure about the wiring here but it might be fine.

Are powerline adaptors standard in that they can work for any hub/provider? (just connect the ethernet cable, plug into the electric socket and let it go). Or do I need to get specific Sky powerlines for it to work best with the Sky hub?

I'm looking at these ones at the moment: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlpa7017p-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10218370.html

@ChrisNorthLondon 

No special ones are needed and those you've linked to should be fine.

Pretty much plug & play, some may require some config to set up a SSID, as they will broadcast a separate signal to that of the Hub. If you're using them for Wi-Fi you may want to disable the Wi-Fi on the Hub to avoid any crossover/interference. 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
ChrisNorthLondon
Topic Author

Thank you - will give it a try when the kit arrives

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion