Discussion topic: Change broadband channel

This message was authored by madoc This message was authored by: madoc

Change broadband channel

Hi Everyone, 

I would like to change my broadband channel as I get freqeuent dropouts with my internet and it causes a tremendous amount of stress during work and personal hours. 

When I type in my hub IP into my browser the option to change channels is greyed out. I would like to know how to enable this so I am free to change channels when ever I please.

madoc_0-1719341220422.png

Any advise would be great. Thanks. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

Re: Change broadband channel

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@madoc as @mae-3 explained the new Wifi max hub can use 5GHz channels that are only available if there is no higher priority service requring those frequencies in your area. I find the hub does a credible job at finding the best channels to use on ii's own. As somebody who doesn't easily trust automation I too assume I can do a better job myself. After 9months use I have to accept the hub does a better job but I wish Sky woulfd give me an optimise button to push. 😀

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@madoc 

Sky Max most of the 5Ghz channels are DFS and therefore best left on automatic for radar avoidance which is a must in the wireless specification for 5Ghz, eg: home wireless for 5Ghz is a secondary allocation, not the primary use of that radio airspace per Ofcom licensing regulations.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@madoc if you havecthe white Sky Max hub you cannot change the WiFi channels the hub uses. The only settings you can change are in the My Sky app the web interface is for information only.

Why do you feel you need to do this manually?

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
madoc
Topic Author

Hi Chrisee, 

I feel it will benefit me during my working hours as I tend a few meetings and I'm on teams calls pretty much all day. Due to the WIFI I constantly get cut off, freezes or dropouts causing me to ask people to repeat themselves which of course is not practical as you imagine. 

I work in IT professionaly and have concluded it's due to the WIFI channels. I live in a block of flats where there is no full fibre. So everyone is using similar broadband channels, let alone the surrounding flats. 

It's frustrating to say the least. I contacted Sky a while ago and they sent me a sky broadband extender which fixed it to a degree. I still get these frequent dropouts. 

I'm pulling my hair out trying to resolve this but to no avail. 

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@madoc 

The WiFi channels dont change if your on Full fubre, the router will use the same 2.4ghz & 5ghz WiFi channels to push out the signal. 
You should really be using ethernet if you WFH, especially if you are in IT 😉

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@madoc wrote:

I contacted Sky a while ago and they sent me a sky broadband extender which fixed it to a degree. I still get these frequent dropouts. 

If you now have a Max Hub then a previous Sky booster is no longer compatible.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
madoc
Topic Author

I'm connected via ethernet and it still causes me headaches 😕 also its not very practical being in the space I'm in at home. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee Answer

@madoc as @mae-3 explained the new Wifi max hub can use 5GHz channels that are only available if there is no higher priority service requring those frequencies in your area. I find the hub does a credible job at finding the best channels to use on ii's own. As somebody who doesn't easily trust automation I too assume I can do a better job myself. After 9months use I have to accept the hub does a better job but I wish Sky woulfd give me an optimise button to push. 😀

madoc
Topic Author

I think I'll just have to accept it too... Sad times

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@madoc 
If its still dropping while you are on ethernet then that would suggest there is a problem with your service. Do your router stats show any drops in the WAN?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Skystreamuser This message was authored by: Skystreamuser

The sky WiFi max hub is a huge step backwards , you're unable to choose your own static channels ! Mind blowing in utter stupidity !

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Skystreamuser If you actually read this thread you might understand why😄

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by Skystreamuser This message was authored by: Skystreamuser

Don't be so condescending if youve no helpful input go play on xbox with your online friends . My router constantly was stuck on a channel locked by four alternate routers...I had to buy a compatible router...it's dumb .

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Skystreamuser wrote:

Don't be so condescending if youve no helpful input go play on xbox with your online friends .

Oh grow up... The thread and it's varies replies literally explain why you can't manually choose channels.

My router constantly was stuck on a channel locked by four alternate routers...I had to buy a compatible router...it's dumb .

You bought your own router? So are you not using the Sky router anymore then?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Skystreamuser wrote:

The sky WiFi max hub is a huge step backwards , you're unable to choose your own static channels ! Mind blowing in utter stupidity !

I'd observe that this is becoming entirely standard in ISP WiFi 6 hardware: the new EE Smart Hub permits 1, 6 or 11 to be manually selected on 2.4Ghz, and only automatic selection on 5Ghz (which has to be the case to meet wireless regulation regarding DFS)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion