Discussion topic: Capped bandwidth/download speed

This message was authored by AtH This message was authored by: AtH

Capped bandwidth/download speed

Right where do I begin...

our download/bandwidth is not what we are paying for....we are getting 34mbps right up to our master socket but as soon as the cable hits the hub it is only putting out 15mbps!

we have had a sky tech and open reach tech out both very confused on why we are only getting a steady 15mbps over Wi-Fi and Ethernet.

the result the open reach tech made a phone call to sky in which they basically told him they had capped our speed because of the amount we have download....

so most people understand that when your downloading your speed will drop off and would expect it to return to normal once the download is completed but in this case sky monitor how much your downloading and if they deem it too much you will find that they will cap your bandwidth/speed. 
I hope this helps anyone with issues that are not seeing line faults.

All Replies

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Re: Capped bandwidth/download speed

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AtH Did you actually hear a Sky representative say they had capped your speed? The reason i ask is that Sky don't have that level of control over FTTC services, and they also don't impliment any traffic shaping on their service.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@AtH   Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

AtH
Topic Author

The open reach tech had his phone on loud speaker when speaking to sky and they specifically mentioned the amount of data we have downloaded and said our speed reflected that. We are pulling a steady 34mbps up to the master socket and with a brand new hub with no connections over Wi-Fi and one device connected over Ethernet we are only getting 15mbps confirmed by a sky tech running their approved speed test!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@AtH wrote:

the result the open reach tech made a phone call to sky in which they basically told him they had capped our speed because of the amount we have download....

That's very unlikely: while most ISPs retain a 'fair usage' clause somewhere in their T&C's, they basically never get enforced these days.  

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@AtH wrote:

The open reach tech had his phone on loud speaker when speaking to sky and they specifically mentioned the amount of data we have downloaded and said our speed reflected that. 

Sorry, sounds like generic 'no idea so make something up' call centre blather to me.  

Note that one point of confusion is that they are at least aware that multiple simultaneous downloads causes average speed to each device to reduce.

AtH
Topic Author

I've had both a sky tech and open reach out the result from both is the same 34mbps up to the master socket as soon as a connection is made to the hub it is slowed to 15mbps with no devices connected over 3 different sky hubs!

@AtH 

OK, do you have any reason to suspect your use is really unusual: terabytes of data and not just the hundreds of gigabytes which many households now get through.

AtH
Topic Author

No we are still in the Gb realms of use!

@AtH 

That's why I seriously doubt any 'explanation' involving capping due to excess use: ten years ago, yes, but not these days.

AtH
Topic Author

Well I wish I had recorded the phone call as our download usage was what was the main reason and that it reflected our constant steady speed of 15mbps even with no devices connected...

how would you explain the steady 34mbps at the master socket and then 15mbps on a brand new "SKY" Hub with no Wi-Fi devices connect and just one device connected over Ethernet to confirm the current speed?

@AtH 

No idea: I'm just suggesting that capping due to volume is a red herring.  Even if you were getting the full 34Mbs throughput (which itself is suspiciously low for FTTC) in these days of 900Mbs FTTP it's difficult to see how you could possibly pull enough data through it to even be noticed.

AtH
Topic Author

Unfortunately even in this day and age the Infrastructure and services where I live only allow us to get a maximum of 34mbps which is frustrating in its self. 

@AtH 

Is that showing in the Hub stats as 34999?  If so there's Openreach (not ISP) 'capping' in effect to maintain service stability in adverse conditions.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@AtH 

Can you post your router stats? My suspicion is that something is using the bandwith in the background. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion