Discussion topic: Cant use sky broadband for working from home

This message was authored by sdd123 This message was authored by: sdd123

Cant use sky broadband for working from home

Having issues with SKY Broadband and had two calls to off shore call centres today, eventually i emailed the Executive Team, the lady that phoned back discovered like most the Country today i was working from home and decided to tell me the Sky equipment is for domestic use only and i shouldnt have work laptop connected to sky broadband as per terms and conditions?

All Replies

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Re: Cant use sky broadband for working from home

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@sdd123 not sure exactly what was said but you are buying a domestic connection and while you can use the connection for pretty much anything you want Sky will not undertake to support working from home.

Certainly work use does not give priority for fixing issues. Openreach who own and run the infrastructure have a 2 working day SLA for faults on domestic lines. If you want business grade support you need to buy a business service however millions of Sky's customers use their home connections for work. 

Thstvsaid if you would like help,with your issue please post some details and someone will try to help. If it is to do with a Private VPN connection please tell us the software your company uses. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
sdd123
Topic Author

It was all because i mentioned the time it takes to reconnect my laptop work systems, i didnt ask for any prioritisation the issue is more annoying every evening with Netflix on the sky q box.  She confirmed that as its domestic broadband works laptops should not be connected to it and thats the Executives Office.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@sdd123 wrote:

It was all because i mentioned the time it takes to reconnect my laptop work systems, i didnt ask for any prioritisation the issue is more annoying every evening with Netflix on the sky q box.  She confirmed that as its domestic broadband works laptops should not be connected to it and thats the Executives Office.

I don't know if it's still a thing in the current T&C but it was years ago. Just about all ISP's back then had a clause that stated you couldn't use their residential broadband services for any form of business use.

Topic Author

I get that, and i understand and that would be correct if you are running your own business.  Your not your doing your work in a domestic setting.  Strange one ideed she was very adamant.

sdd123
Topic Author

From the T&C for 2022 - 

2. Using Sky Broadband (a) Sky Broadband is for private use by you and members of your household only. It must not be used for any activities not reasonably expected of someone using Sky Broadband for domestic purposes.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@sdd123 technically she is right - its in the T&Cs you accepted - but as I said millions of customers use their connection for work. If you are streaming video there will be less bandwidth for your laptop. How fast is your connection? For most of us the speed of our broadband is dictated by the length of our phone line.

You will find similar caveats in other mass market ISPs T&Cs technically you need a business connection practically most people don't bother. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
sdd123
Topic Author

The work equipment was not connected when the netflix was on.  In the T&C for April 2022 it states

2. Using Sky Broadband (a) Sky Broadband is for private use by you and members of your household only. It must not be used for any activities not reasonably expected of someone using Sky Broadband for domestic purposes.

Just had some advice from Legal who advise that court would expect in 2022 using Sky Broadband for hybrid working would be expected and a very easy legal case to win.

The signal is dropping off several times in the evening, but it did it this morning, hence the call, I shouldnt have bothered the Customer Services is appalling, an engineer is coming tomorrow as they suspect a faulty HUB.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@sdd123 

I suspect what triggered the adviser to start talking about not using it for working at home is when you mentioned about re-connecting to work systems. I would imagine you use some sort of VPN for that? Sky wont be interested or obligated to investigate an issue if its related to works VPN which is likely why you got that response.

If you post your router stats we can look to see whether the issue is your external line or Wifi.  

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
sdd123
Topic Author

Still a stupid thing to say , she certainly back tracked when challenged . What stats would you need ?  

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@sdd123   Please can you post your router stats so the forum can advise on any issues. This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

sdd123
Topic Author

9992C74C-221F-449A-9A3B-9CF1DF6B93C7.png

@sdd123 

Looks like its line drops then. How many times a day approx? When was the last time you noticed a drop?

I am NOT a Sky Employee
sdd123
Topic Author

3 times a day approx  last noticed this morning 

@sdd123 

Okay your stats suggest it happened only 2hrs50mins ago.

I can escalate your post here if you'd like and you can chat to a Sky rep. Bascially you have a minor line fault causing line drops. I just wouldnt mention anything to do with work 😬

I am NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion