Discussion topic: Can someone explain how broadband is setup? I am in a brand new house.

dc2002
Topic Author
This message was authored by dc2002 This message was authored by: dc2002

Re: Can someone explain how broadband is setup? I am in a brand new house.

@Mr+Slant It was asked to be put in by a family member yesterday then they installed it.

I'm just getting Sky Broadband separate for myself.

dc2002
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

The same way which way is that?

dc2002
Topic Author

@Mr+Slant @cookiemonsteruk @TimmyBGood 

I could ask the developer about Broadband type stuff to try find out how my Sky will be installed.

What will I ask exactly?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@dc2002 

Just pointing that ultrafast max is sky ireland branding therefore the bt wholesale database wouldn't work. 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Mr+Slant 

I believe ultrafast max is sky ireland branding and siro have no equivalent database but the install would be pretty much the same as in the uk as openreach

Not necessarily: a SIRO FTTP installation in RoI comes in alongside the mains electricity cable and typically enters the property at the ESB meter box.  That's a deployment route which, as far as I know, is never used in the UK.

When you purchase SIRO from a broadband provider, an engineer will visit your home at a time agreed by you to complete the fibre installation. SIRO will be brought into your home either overhead or underground and into the ESB meter box. An external connector box which houses the SIRO fibre will be positioned close to the ESB meter box.

The engineer will agree with you where to install our internal connector box. Some minor drilling is involved and some cabling depending on where you would like your modem. The engineer will ensure and prove that your home is receiving the fibre speed based on the package purchased.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

[video]

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Mr+Slant 

I believe ultrafast max is sky ireland branding and siro have no equivalent database but the install would be pretty much the same as in the uk as openreach

Not necessarily: a SIRO FTTP installation in RoI comes in alongside the mains electricity cable and typically enters the property at the ESB meter box.  That's a deployment route which, as far as I know, is never used in the UK.

When you purchase SIRO from a broadband provider, an engineer will visit your home at a time agreed by you to complete the fibre installation. SIRO will be brought into your home either overhead or underground and into the ESB meter box. An external connector box which houses the SIRO fibre will be positioned close to the ESB meter box.

The engineer will agree with you where to install our internal connector box. Some minor drilling is involved and some cabling depending on where you would like your modem. The engineer will ensure and prove that your home is receiving the fibre speed based on the package purchased.

Pretty much narrows down the customer preferences as to where it will be placed

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
dc2002
Topic Author

@cookiemonsteruk 

Is that video how it will be installed?

No cables visible outside and a little drilling inside with box?

@cookiemonsteruk 

Hopefully, yes.  That looks like the meter enclosure to the right of the front door, so in theory the fibre comes through pavement/driveway duct to there, and then inside the property following an in-wall duct.

I don't know what the limitations are for in-property positioning though, as presumably the wall ducts are now sealed, and it seems unlikely a fibre installer will want to go around corners.  There's also that slight awkwardness of requiring a double socket for the (admittedly rather neat) ONT and the ISP router, which really isn't ideal right behind a front door.

@dc2002 

@dc2002 wrote:

Is that video how it will be installed?

That may be an idealised version.  There was a post in this forum a while ago featuring a rather more bodged SIRO setup.

@dc2002 

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/SKY-fibre-setup/m-p/3979556 

dc2002
Topic Author

@TimmyBGood 

Hopefully its not to hard anyway.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion