Discussion topic: Broadband still not activated 43 days later!

This message was authored by aligriff This message was authored by: aligriff

Broadband still not activated 43 days later!

When we moved home to a newly built property, we brought Sky with us, the house we moved into was already hooked up with openreach box, so it should have been a simple job to remote activate our Broadband, [this was supposed to happen on the 25th of April 23,] It was not activated, the openreach engineer said there was a problem externally and left, we have had another 6 openreach engineers out so far and our issue has still not been resolved!! I am at the end of my tether and have informed Sky if this is not resolved soon I will be cancelling my subscription and moving with BT.

Anyone else experienced this? if so, did you get it resolved?

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Broadband still not activated 43 days later!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@aligriff 

Unfortunately worth noting that BT would be using exactly the same optical (or copper) cable connection, and so inherit the same problem if it's something like a physical discontinuity.  Openreach, despite being part of BT Group, are not permitted to provide BT as an ISP with preferential service and Ofcom would be very upset if they did.

FTTP problems in new builds are an unpleasantly common occurrence, usually because a supposedly available duct has never actually had cable run through it and builders are notoriously careless with concrete/cement spills.

There's also a known issue with record keeping when bulk connections are made if errors get introduced in numbering schemes, which then causes activation of otherwise working individual circuits to misfire.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
aligriff
Topic Author

We are now 6 weeks and 6 days in, and still no broadband!!! This is both annoying and frustrating, we've had every excuse/reason. why we cannot get connected, and I'm convinced Sky and Openreach do not have a clue what the problem is!! I'm now at the stage where I'm thinking of leaving sky, but know that this potentially won't solve the problem.

I don't know where to go for help, there must be somewhere we can go, I've made 2 official complaints to sky, but feel this is doing no good at all

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@aligriff Sky wont know what ghe problem is if Openreach who are the ones doing the work dont know. As @TimmyBGood points out we see loads of issues with new builds. Switching to any other isp using the Openreach network will almost certainly delay things further and unless you can get a connection from someone using  a different network like Virgin Media or decide to use Mobile broadband stay with Sky.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Hi @aligriff 

Can you go to this site and use the 'Address checker' then post the results back here? I am just curious if that gives any clues to what your problem might be

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by AlijGee This message was authored by: AlijGee

Hi, it's not an address issue, I've just had another engineer visit and he's traced the fault and tried to get us activated, but when he asked for a re-route, unfortunately he was told that they could not do it, we have to cancel down our broadband and then ask to be connected again, my problem with this is that the last time they attempted this it took 3 days to cancel and a further 10 days to try and activate us!!! But we have a broadband technician dealing with closing and re-activating, so maybe it will be done a bit quicker with a bit luck 🤞

aligriff
Topic Author

Broadband

We seem to be at the end of a very long road to get our broadband up and running, 

Openreach seem to have found a fixed the issue, but we've now been told we have to cancel our broadband order and re-apply as they can't turn it on unless it's a new activation!! Go figure!!

So I spoke to a broadband technician yesterday who was going to talk me through it step by step, he was supposed to call me at 10am this morning [14th June 23] but hasn't, so although we are in theory 'nearly there' we're stopped in our tracks because this guy hasn't done what he said he was going to do!!! Why make a promise if you're not going to keep it! Very Frustrating.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion