Discussion topic: Broadband buddy devastated no longer in use

This message was authored by OpzMaHaloSlpd This message was authored by: OpzMaHaloSlpd

Broadband buddy devastated no longer in use

I am absolutely devastated to find tonight that I've been logged out of broadband buddy all and that it's no longer available especially when I've literally taken out a new contract in the last week. I have kept with sky only because of this feature and it's usefulness with restricted internet use of my children, one with complex learning needs who does not understand the whole now it's time to come off devices and interferes with sleep etc...now I am at a loss to know what to do and am stuck in a contract I no longer feel the need to have 

All Replies

This message was authored by Soozee75 This message was authored by: Soozee75

Re: Broadband buddy devastated no longer in use

Totally agree with you, have just sent a complaint to Sky. How hard was it for this massive company to keep such a useful feature!! Vital for us parents who want our kids to regulate time online and get to sleep at a decent time.

now have to go up and police this too and remove devices which they use as alarms etc🤯

Shall also be leaving sky in protest 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@OpzMaHaloSlpd wrote:

now I am at a loss to know what to do and am stuck in a contract I no longer feel the need to have

I'd suggest you have a reasonable case to argue that you were not adequately informed before renewing your contract, and that this should be grounds for cancelling without penalty if you choose to do so.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

I'm also sad to see the loss of Buddy.
Ive asked for it to be removed on my account, but will not happen till next months payment.

By the way, I had a letter in the post informing me and an email from Sky, both  at the beginning of last Month mentioning its demise.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Sky Community Superuser. What is a Superuser? Click here to find out
Sky Stream with two pucks (Former Sky Q and Sky+ customer), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.

This message was authored by Parent2 This message was authored by: Parent2

I agree! We stayed with Sky because of the Sky Buddy system and have brought other parents over to Sky because I recommended it! Have just spent 2 hours on the phone to Sky trying to sort out an alternative option and to access codes so that we can now go over to a 3rd party company to provide the same Internet control. Such a shame- Sky as a company you make so much money- please support us to keep our young users safe!

Hi there, so have they provided an alternative that works? Would be keen to know. I'm pulling the plug at night but I don't think that's good for the connection in the day. 
What a palaver this is. 

OpzMaHaloSlpd
Topic Author
This message was authored by OpzMaHaloSlpd This message was authored by: OpzMaHaloSlpd

@Soozee75  no alternative as of yet I'm afraid. The nightly struggle of getting devices off a 14 year old "child" who's nearing 6ft and built like an outhouse with the temper to match is draining so I hope they bring back an updated version if enough parents complain 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Soozee75 @OpzMaHaloSlpd 

As I've mentioned before, rather than 'pulling the plug' on a Sky Hub (which on FTTC can be interpreted as line instability and cause a speed reduction) it's preferable to change the WiFi password on the Hub to something the young people don't know and then give them the signal from a separate wireless access point, perhaps on its own mains timer.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Thanks for this reply, I really like the sound to this but am not sure how to set that up, wish I was more tech minded!😩

This message was authored by shazzabostonuk This message was authored by: shazzabostonuk

Following for answers or alternative.............................. 

This message was authored by Bazzat919 This message was authored by: Bazzat919

I notice that there has been absolutely no reply whatsoever from anyone at Sky on this subject ABSOLUTELY AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! As many of you have said, this was THE best tool for curbing kids' internet use. Can't believe you utter *insert appropriate expletive name* have done this. I will NOT be renewing my contract

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Bazzat919 wrote:

I notice that there has been absolutely no reply whatsoever from anyone at Sky on this subject ABSOLUTELY AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! As many of you have said, this was THE best tool for curbing kids' internet use. Can't believe you utter *insert appropriate expletive name* have done this. I will NOT be renewing my contract

Sky sent out letters/emails to all users who had Buddy so I doubt they will take the time to respond on the forum. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion