Discussion topic: Broadband Speed Concerns

This message was authored by 35Luke35 This message was authored by: 35Luke35

Broadband Speed Concerns

It's nearly time to renew the contract and I am currently researching if it is worth renewing compared to alternatives. I have a minimum guaranteed speed of 38 with a current 'Line Speed' of 39 (although I know the normal 'speed tests' do not count, I am getting significantly slower speeds <20 on many different servers.) Is there some sort of issue with my line? or is this the best speeds I will get?

Sky Results.png

Cheers!

(Non-Sky speed tests were conducted over a known good short Ethernet run, 1GBE speeds).

All Replies

This message was authored by Sky-2022 This message was authored by: Sky-2022

Re: Broadband Speed Concerns

Hi, @35Luke35.

Can you run the Broadband Test, this can be done either via the MySky App on mobile data or use this link. If it shows a fault you should be able to book an engineer via the app. Also, could you post your Router stats and a 24hr system log, also holding down the reset button back of the router for 20 seconds will reset it back to factory defaults: note this will reset any changes done to the router? This link explains how to do that https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/td-p/2855717#

I may also add, that reduced WIFI speeds are extremely common. As the location of the Broadband Hub, the structure of the property/location using the WIFI, how many devices are connected and external interference from neighbours' WIFI on the same channel, usually pressing the reset button on the back can solve this issue as it will auto find the best channel to connect to. Moreover, the practical solution would be using ethernet cables preferably CAT5e or above for most activities that can be supported for. And adding various external WIFI boosters may not solve the issue but cause more interference. Sky does not guarantee wifi speeds unless you buy their top-up Boost package and even then it is only minimal speeds but they normally will give those customers a booster if asked.

Otherwise, to discuss your issue further it would be best to call sky on 150 from your landline or
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sky Q UHD 1TB (on ethernet) & Sky Superfast - SR203 router (59mbps downstream, 16mbps upstream - average)
If my reply is correct/up-to-standard mark it as answered.
If I get it incorrect, educate me - I am open to learning from others as we are one community.
If I say something you find informative and helpful give me a thumbs up.
I am trying to level my way through progressively 🙂
35Luke35
Topic Author

Hi!

Router stats are posted above, I have a Unifi system so have coverage throughout the house with no dropouts. Speed test through the sky app are all 3 green ticks!

Thanks!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@35Luke35 

That 39999 figure indicates that Openreach DLM is in effect to enhance line stability (at the cost of throttling speed) due to the detection of adverse conditions.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
35Luke35
Topic Author

hi @TimmyBGood 

Thank you for your response.

Is DLM being present telling of an issue with the line?

If so, is this something that I could get into contact with Sky to get sorted?

Thanks!

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@35Luke35 wrote:

Is DLM being present telling of an issue with the line?

Yes, but unfortunately if Hub stats show a sync speed above the Guaranteed Minimum, the call centre scripts apparently tell the staff that an Openreach booking isn't appropriate.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
35Luke35
Topic Author

Thats a shame! Think it may be time for me to look for non landline alternative's!

Thanks!

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@35Luke35 

The forum is seeing several forum members with throughput speed issues over a wired ethernet connected device, suggest you contact Sky and try and get your issue escalated to the network team for throughput speed issue at half speed if you have tested over a wired connection to the router.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
35Luke35
Topic Author

Hi @mae-3 

Thank you for your response!

I will give that a go!

Cheers!

35Luke35
Topic Author

Hi All,

Just to follow on from the last few posts. The speed has been heavily fluctuating and recent speedtests (over Ethernet) are 16.73Mbps Download & 10.05Mbps Upload, Whilst the sky speed tests are still giving me the green ticks! 

Rather disappointing as it seems that the speeds are just getting lower and lower.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@35Luke35 

The Sky tests are not throughput speed tests they are synchronisation line speed checks with the cabinet, per Ofcom rules, it is the throughput speed that matters and is guaranteed under the minimum speed guaranteed (MSG). Report a throughput speed issue with Sky and raise a complaint if they don't do anything about it, they have 30 days to fix the fault with a throughput speed fault otherwise you have the right under consumer law to move to a new provider without contract penalty.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/broadband-speeds-c... 

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion