Discussion topic: Alternative to Sky Router

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: Alternative to Sky Router

@cookiemonsteruk 

Not that I don't agree, that Asus does supply great routers, but are you getting commission from Asus, if you aren't why don't you apply? 😎

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mae-3 wrote:

@cookiemonsteruk 

Not that I don't agree, that Asus does supply great routers, but are you getting commission from Asus, if you aren't why don't you apply? 😎

You would have thought so 😁 Sadly not👍

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
Shires999
Topic Author
This message was authored by Shires999 This message was authored by: Shires999

So apart from plugging into router and switching off sky wifi are there any specific settings that need to be put into new router or is it literally plug and play?

This message was authored by Wilkesy199 This message was authored by: Wilkesy199

bump

would like to know this

This message was authored by Jungleted This message was authored by: Jungleted

I have Ultrafast Plus and am disappointed with the Wi-Fi range on the SR203, particularly to my Nest Dooebell and outdoor camer in my driveway. . Are the Asus models for the beginning of this thread in 2022, still the best options?  Ideally I'd like to replace with a new router that I can still use my phone through. Would anyone be kind enough to suggest some options please?

Thanks in advance. 

@Jungleted 

The Asus router can be put into the wireless access point mode and connected to the Sky Hub so you keep the VoIP landline phone. As for replacing the Sky Hub completely if you wish to keep the phone it isn't an option because no technical details are available about Sky's VoIP service.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

@mae-3 Thank you for the quick reply. 

@mae-3 Would this work OK? £118 on Amazon at the moment: 

ASUS RT-AX59U

@Jungleted 

It depends want the type of broadband you have. With FTTP plugged into an ONT then that router will work with Sky. If you are on superfast broadband via a telephone line then you need a VDSL2 modem as well, the same goes for G.fast but the modem is for that service.

-------

@Jungleted 

If unsure of the broadband service you have then post the router stats and will advise.

-------

@mae-3 Sorry, correction, this one:

ASUS RT-AX58U V2

@mae-3 I have Ultrafast Plus fibre. 

@Jungleted 

The same applies as above, will need to know what type of broadband service you are subscribed to and I'll confirm it is okay., But basically, that router will work with a modem for VDSL2 or directly connected to the ONT if you have full-fibre.

-------

@Jungleted 

Yes, it will work with a little setup fine.

-------

@Jungleted 

With your setup, almost all routers will be fine because you are connecting to the Sky Hub because you need to keep the VoIP phone. But the router you have specified will work connected directly to the ONT (lose the phone) or connected to the Sky Hub in wireless access point mode (keep VoIP phone).

-------

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion