Discussion topic: Alternative to Sky Router

This message was authored by Shires999 This message was authored by: Shires999

Alternative to Sky Router

Hi. I have just had sky broadband ultra fast 1 installed and it now shows up the awful wifi coverage the standard router gives. Any recommendations for an alternative? I also have voip as well and a ont. 

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Re: Alternative to Sky Router

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Shires999 

In order to keep internet calls best using the sky hub with wifi switched and ethernet to :-

Asus rt ax56u

Asus rt ax58u

Asus rt ax68u

Asus rt ax86u

Asus rt ax88u

And set the asus up as access point. 

Alternatively all the above will work directly connected to the ont (you lose internet calls)

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by Sky-2022 This message was authored by: Sky-2022

Hi, @Shires999.

Usually, if you have just had a new router or broadband package it can take up to 10 days for the line to be stable. Also, if you have subscribed to Skys Broadband Boost service which has a WI-FI guarantee of being less than 3mbps on your property, they would investigate or send a booster to help.

Otherwise, to discuss your issue further it would be best to call sky on 150 from your landline or
zero three three three seven five nine one zero one eight from any other phone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sky Q UHD 1TB (on ethernet) & Sky Superfast - SR203 router (59mbps downstream, 16mbps upstream - average)
If my reply is correct/up-to-standard mark it as answered.
If I get it incorrect, educate me - I am open to learning from others as we are one community.
If I say something you find informative and helpful give me a thumbs up.
I am trying to level my way through progressively 🙂
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Sky-2022 

The 10 days dlm applies to adsl and vdsl not fttp.  So it is a wifi issue that could be addressed by the broadband booster boxes but more speed is lost between each hop in the daisychain than wifi6 (compatible wifi 6 devices required) but even wifi 5 on the routers i've mentioned is a lot better

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by Sky-2022 This message was authored by: Sky-2022

Hey, @cookiemonsteruk.

Thank you for being so helpful! in clarifying, I will take this for the future. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sky Q UHD 1TB (on ethernet) & Sky Superfast - SR203 router (59mbps downstream, 16mbps upstream - average)
If my reply is correct/up-to-standard mark it as answered.
If I get it incorrect, educate me - I am open to learning from others as we are one community.
If I say something you find informative and helpful give me a thumbs up.
I am trying to level my way through progressively 🙂
Shires999
Topic Author

Thanks. So basically this connects to the hub and takes over the wifi part but not the voip which still plugs into the hub?

Pricey bit of kit to solve a sky problem mind you but if it increase wifi strength and range I may look into it

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@Shires999 wrote:

Thanks. So basically this connects to the hub and takes over the wifi part but not the voip which still plugs into the hub?

@Shires999 

Exactly that.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

@Shires999 

If its just wifi improvement alone then your best option would be the rt ax56u at £110 'ish as an access point. The higher priced ones are designed with higher specs. 

Shires999
Topic Author

Cheers. It is wifi improvement I'm after. Both range and stability and don't want to have extenders all over the place. The standard hub in that respect is poor. I can have my laptop a few feet away and only get 60% strength. It needs external attenas. Strange that they think what's good enough for cable broadband is good enough for fibre. I was expecting a new hub when I signed up.

@Shires999 

Re: the laptop you can disable internal wifi on that and shop around for a wifi 6 usb dongle in that way you can make use of the wifi 6 on the asus rt ax hub. Much better range and stability than the sky hub

Shires999
Topic Author

Trying to avoid lots of extra bits and pieces.   Is Asus only solution or are there others I.e. Belkin etc or is it Asus is the best?

@Shires999 

First thing is don't get wifi extenders a set off devolo wifi ethernet powerline adapters can use the existing electric wiring to route the ip packets back and forth from device and hub so long as the house is on the same mains circuit.  They are fairly expensive in comparison to other powerline adapters which can only reliably handle 100Mbps devolos can handle around 250Mbps but if 100Mbps to the laptop etc is ok then theres probably no point paying more for the extra 50Mbps in your case

@Shires999 

I forgot to mention skys own booster box mesh units available as part of the £5 pm extra broadband boost subscription

Shires999
Topic Author

Trying to avoid extenders and I couldn't see that the sky booster boxes are available anymore (could be wrong though). Would this also do the job? https://www.belkin.com/uk/accessories/wifi-routers-extenders/ax1800-wifi-6-router/p/p-rt1800/

@Shires999 

A lot of us are having great success with  the asus so i'll throw this one onto the list

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RT-AX55-Dual-band-MU-MIMO-AiProtection-Adaptive/dp/B08CBC9B7X

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 4 hours

New Discussion