Discussion topic: There was an router update through the night which has slowed my internet down to less than 1 mbs

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Saintjimmy1999
Topic Author
This message was authored by Saintjimmy1999 This message was authored by: Saintjimmy1999

Re: There was an router update through the night which has slowed my internet down to less than 1 mb

Yes it looks like it but the reality is I am only running at 1mbs

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: There was an router update through the night which has slowed my internet down to less than 1 mb

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Saintjimmy1999 

Ethernet or WiFi?  Have you restarted the Hub from the power socket?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Saintjimmy1999
Topic Author
This message was authored by Saintjimmy1999 This message was authored by: Saintjimmy1999

I have tried changing the cables, resetting the router, unplugging the mains I've been on the phone to sky twice and nothing we have tried has fixed the problem.

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Saintjimmy1999 wrote:

Yes it looks like it but the reality is I am only running at 1mbs

@Saintjimmy1999 Where are you getting this 1mbs figure from? As others have said and we can see from your router stats there is clearly nothing wrong with your inbound connection, running at the maximum possible speed for that technology.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
Saintjimmy1999
Topic Author

This is from a speed check through the internet yet when I check my sky app there ar no issues I'm as baffled as everyone else as to why I have no internet speed.

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

@Saintjimmy1999 And which device are you running the test on? And how is it connected?

The Sky checker is reporting the "sync" speed of your router to your street cabinet. 3rd party checkers show a different "throughput" speed, but that is not a true reflection of your inbound connection speed unless it is via an ethernet connection. Even then because of how networks operate, the reported speed will always be between 6-8% lower than the sync speed. 

With a result as low as that, i would guess you are running the test on a device connected via WiFi, and it is suffering crippling interference, or you are a long way from the router, or a combination of both. 

Can you run a speedtest on a device connected via ethernet? And then what is the speedtest result?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **
Saintjimmy1999
Topic Author

I've ran speed tests through all devices Ethernet connected or not and they are all giving the same result through various speed checks.

This message was authored by TheTruth This message was authored by: TheTruth

I have, today, been experiencing this exact same issue.  We have the same router (ER115) with the same firmware.  How do you know they pushed out an update to the router overnight?  As our problems originated at the same time I would imagine they are connected.  What upload speed do you get when running a speed test?

This message was authored by Martin+P+86 This message was authored by: Martin+P+86

I too am experiencing the same problems mentioned above and started yesterday morning (26th may) tried all the steps mentioned above as well. 

I have the "broadband" router with 4 lights on the front and stands tall wide.

From the Mansfield NG19 postcode area.

Xbox one X * Samsung Ue55mu9000 UHD 4k Hdr 10bit * Samsung HWQ90R Soundbar * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Phillips Hue Sync * Netflix * Amazon Prime * Sky fibre unlimited * Sony XZ Premium

I don't think this is a router issue as i've just switched out routers and the issue persists.  I've spoken to Sky regarding it who are allegedly escalting it to their tech/engineering team.

This message was authored by tim2275 This message was authored by: tim2275

@Martin+P+86

I am also in the Mansfield area (NG20) and have been experiencing the exact same thing since yesterday morning. 

Upload speed is normal but download speed is less than 1 mbps.

All stats are normal with no faults. Spoke to sky who are sending another router out (current one is less than a year old).

Not a technically minded person but I don't think the router is the problem. 

This message was authored by Martin+P+86 This message was authored by: Martin+P+86

Yeah tim i agree, im not technically minded either but i dont think its an individual router fault but do update us if a new router works.

Its just funny how this has happened to lots of people overnight all at once with the exact same issues.

Xbox one X * Samsung Ue55mu9000 UHD 4k Hdr 10bit * Samsung HWQ90R Soundbar * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Phillips Hue Sync * Netflix * Amazon Prime * Sky fibre unlimited * Sony XZ Premium

Bit of a update from a email ive just recieved from sky in response to my broadband,

They have identified a outage, engineers are working to resolve it and it doesnt look like its going to be fixed this evening either as ive been advised downloads and internet usage may take longer than normal.

been asked to wait for a further update.

This message was authored by tim2275 This message was authored by: tim2275

So new router arrived this morning and as expected there's no difference.

Speed is still below 1mbps.

It's been 2 days now. Getting frustrated😡

Also not fixed in NG21 despite them claiming it is.  Complete incompetants from top to bottom.  

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion