Discussion topic: SR203 to SR204

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: SR203 to SR204

@Neil+Stevens 

You are connected to 5Ghz as a 2.4Ghz wireless band cannot even reach anywhere near 400Mbps on its own.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Neil+Stevens 

@mae-3  has the zenwifi xt8. What he don't know ain't worth knowing

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@mae-3 @Neil+Stevens 

I'd be tempted to suggest that anything Apple-ish runs at less that full pelt just to eke out battery life.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Neil+Stevens This message was authored by: Neil+Stevens

Haha awesome 

@TimmyBGood 

802.11ax has wireless scheduling that enhances the battery life considerably, I've noticed connected to an Asus XT8 an iPhone 12 Pro Max the battery life is lasting twice or more as long as 802.11ac. 😉

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Neil+Stevens This message was authored by: Neil+Stevens

Another plus for replacing then 😄

@Neil+Stevens 

With the Asus XT8 at 5. metres from the router and 25 devices connected by wireless and 10 devices by wired in operation, the performance was:- 442Mbps throughput on 802.11ac 80Mhz width to MacBook Air 2020 Air (Intel i5 model) 2 antenna. And 677Mbps throughput on 802.11ax 80Mhz width to an Intel i7 MSI laptop 2 antenna. Most of the features are turned on on the Asus XT8 including QoS and IPS, so that'll slow it down a bit... And that was copying a 3GB file from a NAS to local storage on the laptops.

-------

Pretty decent then. Have you left your sky devices on the sky ssid or are they connected to the xt8? 

@Neil+Stevens 

I have separate SSID's for the Asus for each wireless band, and that was on an 80Mhz 5Ghz-2 band B. I'm with Zen not Sky and I use Apple equipment including Apple TV 4K for streaming primarily. I don't have any Sky equipment in the house, so cannot test with it.

-------

Can you use power line adaptors as the Ethernet back haul between the 2 xt2 devices? 

@Neil+Stevens 

Yep, ethernet homeplugs could be used for the backhaul between the main XT8 and an XT8 node. You'll then have all three wireless bands 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz-1 Band A channels (36-64) and 5Ghz-2 Band B channels (100-140) available for use by clients.

One niggle the Asus XT8 does not support 5Ghz Band C channels currently it's restricted in the web interface, but the chipset which is three Broadcom transceivers do actually support 5Ghz band C so the hardware is capable of it.

-------

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@Neil+Stevens wrote:

was that speed using ethernet or wifi? got a call with sky open as even stodd right next to the sr203 i can't get above 400mb

That was using ethernet. I get around 400 Mbps using wifi.

ok thanks for confirming. will see what sky say then as i only got this once when the line was first upgraded. now i get 300-350 max

Well I finally hit the buy button today so I'll see how these are. I wont bother with the homeplugs for the back haul and will

see what speeds I get first 

@Neil+Stevens 

Do let us know how you get on with a pair of Asus XT8, for I only have 1 unit for my house which is only two-bedroom and it covers 25 metres outside the house through two red brick walls with a throughput easily exceeding my broadband throughput speed of 220Mbps on 5Ghz-2 band which is really where it excels. With the pair, you'll be using the 5Ghz-2 for the backhaul...

-------

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion