Discussion topic: SR203 to SR204

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Neil+Stevens This message was authored by: Neil+Stevens

Re: SR203 to SR204

Will do 

This message was authored by Neil+Stevens This message was authored by: Neil+Stevens

well so far I'm unimpressed....

when sat in the same room connected to 5Ghz i'm getting 480-500Mb download speeds but when you move away it's not so great

using wireless backhaul and it keeps dropping off the 5Ghz onto the 2.4Ghz and it says it weak and even being sat right next it download speed is only 60-70Mb

It feels like I need another unit for coverage. In my kitchen earlier I was getting 400+ whereas each time I try now i'm getting 60-70Mb 

certainly doesn't feel like I'm getting much more for the money compared to my current wholehomewifi whoch is a shame

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Neil+Stevens 

What does the wireless log say about wireless signals and radar for the 5Ghz bands? And have you tried changing the control channels on 5Ghz?

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Not checked the logs but already made sure the channels aren't conflicting 

If I kept don't split the networks and just have a single ssid will each client automatically connect then swap between 2.4 and 5 when it needs to? 

@Neil+Stevens 

It should do but most split the SSID's for assurance that it connects always to the required wireless band as necessary manually.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Ah yes of course 

Decided to start over today so did a factory reset and this seems to have done the trick. I've set it up in ap mode but as I only have the sky q mini devices that log into the sky ssid I might try it in router/aimesh router mode and see if the double Nat will cause any issues 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Neil+Stevens 

The xt8 is capable of authenticating sky mer, client identifier option 61 so can completely replace the sr203 . All units are combined router/satellite nodes therefore with xt8 plugged directly into ont you can use the main router unit to set up aimesh

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

There's no solution for sky voip yet though is there ? 

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Neil+Stevens 

That does mean however you can't use sky internet calls

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

@Neil+Stevens 

Disabling wifi and unticking "use router as dhcp server" on the advanced->lan ip set up should avoid double nat. Don't know whether sr203 still does the authentication vis a vis dhcp option 61 but does pass lan dhcp allocation over to the xt8. What this will do to internet calls i don't know 

@Neil+Stevens & @cookiemonsteruk 

If the Asus XT8's are in AP mode you can either run the Sky Hub as the DHCP server or one of the Asus XT8 as a DHCP server. When the DHCP server is turned off on the Sky router it is still doing the authentication with the Sky backend, eg: it doesn't matter what the DHCP server is set to on the Sky router it still does NAT and authentication with Sky.

The fact the Asus XT8's are in AP mode means they don't NAT the connection again and this is what avoids double NAT.

-------

hadn't planned on getting rid of the sky hub as happy with the skyq mesh dealing with the sky q minis. When I first set up the XT8 I did notice the auto setup was in router mode with my phone and Mac that were connected were in the 192.168.50 range but I changed it to ap mode straight away. I should have tried running sky go to see if there were any issues 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion