Discussion topic: SR203 to SR204

This message was authored by Aurynfire This message was authored by: Aurynfire

SR203 to SR204

I see that there's a more recent version of the Sky router that I have and I would like to see if I could get a hold of one before my install next week, does anyone know where or whom I need to speak to acquire it?

Fantastically Autistic

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: SR203 to SR204

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Aurynfire 

The sr204 has the same specs as a router. The only difference is a g.fast modem which you don't need on fttp

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@Aurynfire 

The sr204 has the same specs as a router. The only difference is a g.fast modem which you don't need on fttp

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Aurynfire 

And certainly on the ultrafast 500Mbps in my opinion you'd be looking for a more capable 3rd party standalone router than the sr203

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Aurynfire 

That's not 'a more recent version': as @cookiemonsteruk indicates, the slight difference in model number denotes a variation in WAN functionality, but they are both essentially members of a '200' series from 2019 to run alongside the 2016 ER 110/115 Q Hub model variants as a 'premium' offering for Broadband Boost subscribers and as standard for G.fast/FTTP/SOGEA users.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Aurynfire
Topic Author
This message was authored by Aurynfire This message was authored by: Aurynfire

Well I cant use a 3rd party one can't I since I have VoIP with Sky now

Fantastically Autistic
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Aurynfire 

Forgot about that post, apologies.

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

@cookiemonsteruk wrote:

@Aurynfire 

And certainly on the ultrafast 500Mbps in my opinion you'd be looking for a more capable 3rd party standalone router than the sr203

There's nothing wrong with the SR203 on Ultrafast Plus.

20210709_193955_1.jpg

@simon194

Nothing whatsoever apart from wifi which is amongst reasons why people look for 3,rd party routers. 

This message was authored by Neil+Stevens This message was authored by: Neil+Stevens

was that speed using ethernet or wifi? got a call with sky open as even stodd right next to the sr203 i can't get above 400mb

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Neil+Stevens 

How many antennae does the device that you have connected to the Sky wireless router have in it, eg: if it only has 1 then the absolute maximum wireless speed is restricted to 433.3Mbps. The other reason is you are experiencing interference on the 5Ghz wireless band A (bottom manual channels), eg: Sky wireless routers don't support the top Band A 5Ghz or Band B 5Ghz or Band C 5Ghz at all.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by Neil+Stevens This message was authored by: Neil+Stevens

This was a simple Speedtest using my iPhone 11 connected to the sky ssid right nest to the phone. I know the line is working ok as network connection test on the Xbox connected using Ethernet says 500mb (or just below sometimes)

@Neil+Stevens 

Maybe your mobile is connected to 2.4ghz wifi hence the slower speeds. Is anything else running whilst speedtesting?

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

@Neil+Stevens 

In theory, the iPhone 11 which has 2 antennae should be able to handle the whole 500Mbps, but it may be better to connect it to an 802.11ax wireless router for better performance and battery life.

-------

Zen internet on G.fast (250Mbps down, 50Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

Not sure what it was connected to. I had toggled wifi on/off so assumed it would be 5 and not 2.4

I only use the sky ssid for sky devices. Everything else I connect to a bt whole joke Wi-Fi mesh (configured to use different channels) but debating whether it's worth ditching for something like the Asus xt8

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion