Discussion topic: Non Stacking of Recordings - Better but not solved!

This message was authored by wkeith This message was authored by: wkeith

Non Stacking of Recordings - Better but not solved!

On December 22nd we deployed a solution that covers all third-party video services (Radio and Teleshopping are not covered by this) and by monitoring internally, via the thread and other social channels we can now see that this has resolved this problem. A further and more permanent fix is planned in the coming weeks however we’ve already seen great improvements in the new script and are confident in the changes made.

@Chloe-W22 

I'm not confident in the changes made. 

While the blank Thumbnails issue looks solved, the non stacking issue is not.  It may be relevant that we are in Scotland so receive STV,  not ITV.

For example:-

Coronation Street is currently showing Series 63 and Other.

Under Series 23 we have recordings as follows:

S63:E308 - Recorded 26 December;

S63:E310 - Recorded 28 December; and

S63 E312 - Recorded Thursday (which was 29th December).

Under Other we have recordings as follows:

No Series info Recorded Monday, 8.00pm

No Series Info Recorded Yesterday, 8.00pm

No Series Info Recorded 21 December

No Series Info Recorded 25 December

No Series Info Recorded Friday, 7.30pm (which was 30th December)

No Series Info Recorded Saturday, 8.00pm (which was 31st December)

So clearly the metadata fix, which I believe has been removing the series info when it is successful, has not been applied consistently.

So please dont say the issue is closed just because you know how to fix it but sometimes don't/forget to apply the fix.

SONOS soundbar, Virgin V6 x2 , Superhub 3 in modem mode, Eero pro x 2 and 3 x Eero

Best Answers
This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22 Answer

Re: Non Stacking of Recordings - Better but not solved!

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi everyone,

At the end of 2022 we made significant changes to the issue identified with non stacked recordings when we updated our systems, and have continued researching these using your examples.

The most common examples we receive is from Soaps which is caused by a few different reasons:
- Episode duration (episodes may not stack if there are extended episodes)
- Multiple Part episodes ie. Part 1 and 2
- Last minute changes to show times
- Episode & Season discrepancy by the provider ie. Incorrect season number

We've sent numerous amounts of feedback for this but what I wanted to confirm is disparity in metadata wasn't introduced with this problem on Stacking. There's multiple providers, people, systems and processes in between sending content between broadcasters and it won't be 100% correct all of the time.

The Community team has been tracking this thread for a while and can conclude it's reached it's endpoint. We'll be closing this thread and we ask you to direct any metadata faults to our Viewer Relations team who are our dedicated programme broadcast complaints department who can advise accordingly. We understand there is alot of passion behind this thread, and we encourage users to keep getting involved in Community discussions but we ask you to adhere to our Community Rules and understand why the thread has been closed.

We'd like to thank you again for your contribution to the Sky Community.

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

Have a story you want to share with us? Send your Thanks to Sky here

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by 1Anonymous1 This message was authored by: 1Anonymous1

incorrect thumbnails and thumbnail issues on sky Q

issue with thumbnails include 

coronation street itv1 got generic thumbnails on catch up but should be separate episode thumbnails 

same for scheduled episodes 

all scheduled episodes of (good morning Britain,  loose women, classic coronation street and classic emmerdale itv1 and casualty,doctors and eastenders bbc  one got incorrect thumbnails for the thumbnail used behind the synopsis of the programme on sky Q 

all scheduled episodes of good morning britain and loose women got incorrect thumbnails on sky.com for scheduled episodes 

and  next monday 9th scheduled episodes of emmerdale itv1 got incorrect thumbnail on sky Q as that thumbnail its got should be of classic emmerdale 

and all scheduled episodes of emmerdale and coronation street itv1 should be separate episodes thumbnails on catch up and for scheduled episodes for sky Q as confirmed by itv 

if anyone else notices any issue with thumbnails on sky Q please comment on here thanks 

@Chloe-W22 

This message was authored by Tomthecatty This message was authored by: Tomthecatty

Re: incorrect thumbnails and thumbnail issues on sky Q

I'm also having issues with missing thumbnails. 

We all must be imagining these things since Sky say they're fixed. 

This message was authored by iangster This message was authored by: iangster

@Sam-R in response to your post on the now closed forum 'non-stacking of recordings' where you advised that Sky have been closely monitoring that thread, i'm sure many Sky Q customers will reply with 'not closely enough'. Its finally good to see Sky provide a detailed update as the final post on that thread. Its a shame that it took months and over 1600 posts for Sky to give this (many of them pleading posts to do so). However make no mistake, all the issues advised in that thread are far from resolved for huge amounts of Sky customers. Whilst word's are needed, it's actions and definite resolutions that are needed far more.

This message was authored by Paula+R This message was authored by: Paula+R

I agree. Very disappointing that the thread has been closed when the issues arent solved. You say the posts have reduced in numbers, but I can guarantee there will be people like me, who posted months ago and have been keeping a daily eye on the thread, but not actively posting.

Over Christmas, we recorded 2 films, that had a short break of 5 mins in the middle for the news. Neither stacked. I mean, its not the end of the world, but its not fixed either. 

Butch Cassidy on ITV4 and Breakfast at Tiffanys on C5 

wkeith
Topic Author

Obviously 

Under Series 23 we have recordings as follows:

Should read Series 63.  

It seems that while a Level 4 user can edit reply they cant edit an original post.  Can understand why I suppose.

Also forgot to thank Chloe-W22 for the explanation of the origin of the fault.

I presume it should have read "due to the way the new Metadata backend dealt with Third Party Schedule updates when they were sent to Sky too close to the broadcast time."

This does go some way to explaining the problems encountered during schedule changes but it is not clear why this would affect periods when schedules did not change given that the guide runs for seven days ahead.

It also calls into question the testing/change control procedures (or lack of such procedures!) in place at  SKY (or at an outsourcer)  I trust that lessons have been learned.

SONOS soundbar, Virgin V6 x2 , Superhub 3 in modem mode, Eero pro x 2 and 3 x Eero
This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Wouldn't record it as I don't watch it not the same way way back in December 1960 maybe watch it if itvX show episodes from 60 years ago.

This message was authored by Mormor1950 This message was authored by: Mormor1950

@wkeith you're so right, they close discussion board to shut us up and the problem is still here and I'm fed up with sky telling us it's fixed. Well mine isn't OK, hope we can get through to sky somehow

This message was authored by sambora71 This message was authored by: sambora71

It's certainly a lot better but the other thread shouldn't have been closed until it's fixed.

I'm nearly at 100% for thumbnails but yesterday afternoon I recorded A Place In The Sun on C4 & that didn't stack.

This message was authored by 1Anonymous1 This message was authored by: 1Anonymous1

also all scheduled episodes of good morning britain itv1 got incorrect thumbnails for scheduled epsidoes the thumbnail it got has no relevant to the programme this issue is for individual scheduled episodes and for the thumbnail used behind the synopsis of the programme 

emmerdale and coronation street itv1 also got incorrect thumbnail one used behind the synopsis of the programme these issues  on sky Q and sky.com

@Sam-R @Chloe-W22 

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

Hey everyone,

We wanted to just address the concerns raised in this new thread regarding stacking issues, the issues posted here have already proved to be useful to our internal teams and work is continuing to improve the situation. I wanted to also point out the examples you've shared are really appreciated and are being looked into, individually @wkeith@1Anonymous1@sambora71@Paula+R 

We can assure you that the other thread was closed in order to make a distinction between the missing metadata which resulted in shows not stacking and missing images, and other metadata issues which were getting missed because of the unrelated responses in the thread. 

Unfortunately there are occasions where the metadata backend and broadcast schedules have not aligned and require manual intervention, we are now focusing on how we manage and present recordings for split events and long running soaps.

We're sorry for the frustration this is causing you all but work is continuing to improve the consistency of the metadata matching which will enable us to provide a better customer experience.

Thanks again,

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

This message was authored by iangster This message was authored by: iangster

@Chloe-W22 thank you for your post. My issues are some episodes not stacking and some missing thumbnails. I'd appreciate it if you could follow up with me when you believe your technicians have completed the work required to resolve my issues. I'll then be able advise you if they have. Thank you.

This message was authored by Chloe-W22 This message was authored by: Chloe-W22

Posted by a Sky employee

@iangster Can you let us know what content isn't stacking and which have no thumbnails please? As much information as you can is useful such as the content you're trying to watch,  where you're trying to watch ie from a recording, on demand or catch up etc

Chloe-W22

Community Manager

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@wkeith Personal suspicion - integration / consolidation with comcast systems and something missed during testing.

wkeith
Topic Author

@Chodley wrote:

@wkeith Personal suspicion - integration / consolidation with comcast systems and something missed during testing.

@Chodley 100% agree on Comcast integration - "we migrated our metadata backend systems to align with all of Sky's platforms and territories"

And testing taking place in a perfect world where suppliers dont make mistakes, there are no unexpected changes to meta data or schedules and they dont receive updates "too close to the broadcast time"!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion