Discussion topic: My experience with the new Sky Broadband Hub

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Re: My experience with the new Sky Broadband Hub

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Just had a long tracking email sent to me.

Coming by Royal Mail and will be with me by 3pm tomorrow.
Its well on its way too, but only got picked up by Royal Mail 5pm yesterday.

Had loads of mention about Sky Broadband Hub in the email, so thats a relief after that mention of Sky Q hub in MySky 🙂

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by Treble3 This message was authored by: Treble3

First thing I will do is unplug my 3 mesh bt whole homes attach new router and test signal in the places I know I can't get a signal without mesh see how good this thing is 🙂

Question on setting up this new broadband hub, being delivered today hopefully 🙂

I have Sky Superfast 76mbps fttc

I have a LJU2 master socket and currently use the Sky micro filter.

I connect one dect phone and of course my router into that microfilter.

Can I connect the new broadband hub to the master socket with out the micro filter and use the 'phone' socket in the broadband hub for the dect phone connection?

Has anyone tried it?

I know anout SOGEA which I do not have, but wondered if that phone socket on the new hub will act as a micro filter for one single phone connected?

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by Sinth This message was authored by: Sinth

@lettice Think I remember someone in the thread saying that was the only way to get your landline to work, plugging into the router.

SKY Q 2TB v2 in SCR mode (WiFi to hub)
SKY Fibre Ultrafast 1
Panasonic 50dx750b
Sonos Playbar - WiFi to Q box
This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@Sinth wrote:

@lettice Think I remember someone in the thread saying that was the only way to get your landline to work, plugging into the router.

If that’s the case, I hope Sky are providing the FVA interstitial plate to isolate the external copper telephone line from the internal home phone sockets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@lettice wrote:

Can I connect the new broadband hub to the master socket with out the micro filter and use the 'phone' socket in the broadband hub for the dect phone connection?

NO mention of being able to do that in the online instructions.

TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

@tarbat wrote:

Tried re-contracting this morning, but told I would have to pay an extra £5 per month. I currently get free Boost as a Diamond VIP. So looks like Sky don’t value VIP status anymore.

You get that ViP free boost as a Platinum VIP too.

A recontract should carry it over.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
This message was authored by Laing1 This message was authored by: Laing1

@lettice wrote:

Question on setting up this new broadband hub, being delivered today hopefully 🙂

I have Sky Superfast 76mbps fttc

I have a LJU2 master socket and currently use the Sky micro filter.

I connect one dect phone and of course my router into that microfilter.

Has anyone tried it?

I know anout SOGEA which I do not have, but wondered if that phone socket on the new hub will act as a micro filter for one single phone connected?

@lettice I'm fairly certain that won't work. My set up is same phone socket as you re-used the micro filter from the Q hub +as none included with the new router) cable from filter to router and plug drct phone into filter works fine. Think the socket on the router only works for VoiP

I may be a Sky Superuser but I am still just a Sky customer

Sky Q 2 TB (Silver)Box, 2 Mini boxes since June 2016, all connected by wifi
Sky Broadband Hub/SR203, Sky Ultrafast broadband
Ultimate on Demand, Q Experience/UHD, Sky Sports, Sky Cinema
LG 49SJ 810 V UHD TV, Google Pixel 7 Pro mobile
This message was authored by SamRyan This message was authored by: SamRyan

If you have an ADSL or FTTC connection, you setup the router like normal.

You can only utilize the phone port on Hub 4 if you have any package that includes VOIP, which would mean youre on the SOGEA trial, and G Fast/FTTP when that's released.

New Sky Broadband Hub arrived this afternoon.

Phone only works via microfilter, not in hub, so as before.

All setup fine. Interface is the same as the Sky Q hub. 

Very impressed by wifi range.

Never really had much of a problem in my house with wifi, but wifi speed has increased a lot everywhere.

My wifi used to drop out at 110 feet down the garden with the Sky Q hub, but getting 32mbps at that point with this new one.

I used to also have a dead spot on my patio close to the house behind an extension and only got 5-9mbps on wifi when finding exactly the right spot depending on the device and it often used to drop out there. Now getting 57mbps with no drop outs.

One annoying thing, is when the hub powered up for the first time a web page appeared on my lan connected desktop pc and it set my Sky Broadband Shield to level 13, when I had it at 18. The page would not let me change it there, so had to go to web MySky to change it.

Daft that as it disabled the Sky Broadband Buddy, so had to login to Mysky to reset it back to 18 and Buddy came back.

What was the point of it doing that?

For those that care. In settings it shows this;

Model SR203
Firmware Version 3.03.1382.R
DSL Firmware VersionA2pvfbH043p1.d26u

Also Noise margin is now just showing a single figure for each, but line attenuation  the three D1,D2,D3 and U0,U1,U2
- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
This message was authored by Tyl3r99 This message was authored by: Tyl3r99

@lettice wrote:

New Sky Broadband Hub arrived this afternoon.

Phone only works via microfilter, not in hub, so as before.

All setup fine. Interface is the same as the Sky Q hub. 

Very impressed by wifi range.

Never really had much of a problem in my house with wifi, but wifi speed has increased a lot everywhere.

My wifi used to drop out at 110 feet down the garden with the Sky Q hub, but getting 32mbps at that point with this new one.

I used to also have a dead spot on my patio close to the house behind an extension and only got 5-9mbps on wifi when finding exactly the right spot depending on the device and it often used to drop out there. Now getting 57mbps with no drop outs.

One annoying thing, is when the hub powered up for the first time a web page appeared on my lan connected desktop pc and it set my Sky Broadband Shield to level 13, when I had it at 18. The page would not let me change it there, so had to go to web MySky to change it.

Daft that as it disabled the Sky Broadband Buddy, so had to login to Mysky to reset it back to 18 and Buddy came back.

What was the point of it doing that?

For those that care. In settings it shows this;

Model SR203
Firmware Version 3.03.1382.R
DSL Firmware VersionA2pvfbH043p1.d26u

Also Noise margin is now just showing a single figure for each, but line attenuation  the three D1,D2,D3 and U0,U1,U2

Great stuff!!! I'm looking to use one with the bt whole home wifi disks 

A couple of pics of what you get in the box;

The small white card on the right I have turned over. That has your wifi SSID/password and wps pin.

2019-09-07 14.32.34.jpg2019-09-07 14.28.37.jpg

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser

Just got mine now and I'm unsure about the phone part of it do I leave my landline as it is now connected to the wall or connect it to the router what's The difference cheers 

This message was authored by SamRyan This message was authored by: SamRyan

As mentioned a few times on this thread, you only use the phone part of the router if you are receiving VOIP from Sky. The only way to get VOIP from Sky is if you're on the SOGEA trial

If you don't know what SOGEA is then you're not on the trial.

Just follow the instructions provided.

Cheers pal I was just going to start reading back through the thread I wasn't being lazy well maybe a little. 😉

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion