Discussion topic: Mine is going back

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by sammyh98 This message was authored by: sammyh98

Re: Mine is going back

The stutter isn't a broadband issue, certainly not for us.

We have Unifi wifi6 access points around the house and the Puck in the lounge is connected to the AP at about 500Mbps and using 58Mbps of bandwidth when in use. Broadband connection is Gigabit. 

Terrestrial TV stutters on a too regular basis and when this happens the UI is jerky and slow as well.

We also get frequent black screens when whatever we are watching stops and the screen goes black. Sometimes we can restart the stream but more often than not it is a power cycle.

Connecting the Pucks via ethernet, which also slows the connection to 100 Mbps, makes no difference, the same issues exist. 😔 

This message was authored by SteveF1 This message was authored by: SteveF1

As a Q customer expecting delivery of Glass today I've been seriously concerned about most of the flaws in this product. Some seem fixable with updates, some seem to be more symptomatic with the hardware and general ethos of the IPTV pulling things from OD services. 

For anyone that has cancelled their Glass order before delivery, have they been able to just remain on their old deal/Q package and for those that accepted delivery what was Sky's position about accepting returns? Did they charge for collection, put you back on Q???

Ay help appreciated.

This message was authored by Kevin+j+v This message was authored by: Kevin+j+v

@SteveF1  Just out of curiosity, what would possess you to want to exchange q for glass?

ok, you don't have a box under the tv, but that's literally the only plus point I can think of.

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@SteveF1 wrote:

As a Q customer expecting delivery of Glass today I've been seriously concerned about most of the flaws in this product. Some seem fixable with updates, some seem to be more symptomatic with the hardware and general ethos of the IPTV pulling things from OD services. 

For anyone that has cancelled their Glass order before delivery, have they been able to just remain on their old deal/Q package and for those that accepted delivery what was Sky's position about accepting returns? Did they charge for collection, put you back on Q???

Ay help appreciated.

The problem is that Sky via IP was originally intended for people who couldn't have a dish. It took so long to be released that they've now gone on a marketing push that comes across as this being the next big thing and a replacement for Sky Q. It's not. 

This seems like not much more than a better NOW product.

Cloud recording - Originally touted as 1000 hours for everyone but with the majority of programming being linked to on-demand apps, they knew all along that no customer would ever use more than a couple of hours' worth of space at most. On that basis, I'm surprised they didn't tout it as "unlimited".

Note that they have maintained that the Playlist will always get content from the best place - read: if it's on catch-up or on-demand, you will always get it there by default. 

HLG HDR - Poor peak brightness with SDR (normal TV) content, meaning many people are having to turn off the automatic brightness and push the levels up. This was never going to work with HLG HDR as it was going to be too dull... people are now realising this in real-world settings now that the international break is over and Sky's weekend coverage has commenced again. I imagine more complaints today when Man Utd-Liverpool is on. The only people who won't complain about this are those with a Puck connected to their own third-party TV. 

Use of the TV without a Sky subscription - It's not going to be a smooth experience for customers no longer subscribed to Sky services. From the various sources I've read so far, I'm going to air on the benefit of doubt side and maintain that third-party apps can still be used, provided the TV is still linked to a Sky ID and is logged in. The issue for the user is that they would need to disconnect the TV from broadband in order to watch DTT/Freeview channels. They would need to do that whenever they wanted to go back into Netflix, for example, and switch it off again for Freeview. Sounds very tiresome having to do that all the time. 

The moral of the story is never buy a TV from a TV service provider because you're essentially paying for a glorified Sky box with its own screen. Spend your money on your own preferred TV and connect a Sky box or subscribe to NOW instead. 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@SteveF1 if you cancel before delivery your Q contracts should continue as before. If you accept delivery and subsiquantly decide its not for you within the first 31 days Sky will pick it up for free see https://www.sky.com/help/articles/return-sky-glass#need-a-hand

Sky actually ask you not to return Q kit during thst perios I assume so you can go back to Q if you cannot get on with Glass.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Kevin+j+v there are several advantages to Glass over Q including the ability to have UHD on multiple screens, better integration of apps into overall viewing, the removal of the hard limit of 3 simultaenous screens and a higher number of total units you can have. There are more but the number one is the simplicity of a unit that has one lead which removes a lot of the problems that still fill the Q forum.

Sky Q does suit a lot of people and Glass currently has issues but there is strong grounds to assume Sky will sort the system as those of us who had Q from the start remember the launch had similar glitches.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Q-tips This message was authored by: Q-tips

@Chrisee wrote:

Sky Q does suit a lot of people and Glass currently has issues but there is strong grounds to assume Sky will sort the system as those of us who had Q from the start remember the launch had similar glitches.

…Some of which took years to fix. But the psychology of Glass is very different because of the considerable subscriber capital investment required. People will be more inclined to wait for fixes if it doesn't cost to wait but waiting with Glass could mean losing the statutory right to a refund and FOMO on that would naturally discourage some people from waiting to see if/when Sky fixes its Glass issues.

Anyway, for those who have taken delivery but not yet activated Glass and want to send it back for whatever reason, do not follow the kamikaze guidance in the Glass Returns FAQ as it will cancel your old Sky contract.

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 08.43.02.png

--------------------
32B12C 2TB UHD Q box • Mini boxes x2 (32D0B2) • 2022 LG C2 OLED TV • Software vQ230.000.14.00L • Gigaclear gigabit FTTH broadband (935Mbps up/down) • Linksys Velop tri-band router; 3 mesh nodes • All Q boxes fully Cat6 hardwired • Q wi-fi disabled • Q picture/audio processing disabled (no sound bar) • Pixellation cured by Q170 but back again with Q190 and now every few minutes with Q210 and Q220 live broadcasts and recordings on all boxes
This message was authored by Satele This message was authored by: Satele

@Chrisee Agree. There are Glass customers, even those like myself who come from Q, who are very happy with the product. 

It's clearly a case of expecatations, genuine hardware issues notwithstanding. I've seen issues on here including: flickering, stuttering, jerky UI, apps not loading etc. On day 4 with my Glass and I've had none of these issues. 

Some folk are hung up on the issue with terrestrial channels linking back to apps for recordings. Not remotely bothered by this personally but if you watch a lot of terrestrial content, that's something to consider I guess. 

I've also had zero issues playing back UHD HDR content and my picture is not dark. I come from a 65" Ambilight so my expectations were not low but they are accepted that this is essentially a £700 TV minus the soundbar so I was expecting great performance whilst accepting there would be higher end TVs out there that this is not designed to compete with. 

To say this is a NowTV product more than a Q experience is misleading. It's neither. It stands alone as a new option and even the website at the bottom of the Glass page is clear on this - after you've reviewed the product info, there is a big unmissable graphic link that says 'not quite what you're looking for' and links to other Sky services. 

For me the main advantages are as Chrisee stated - the single cable, the physical design and build, the brilliant integrated soundbar, the fluid and integrated interface with apps and other device inputs. There's not another product that can provide this yet and I'm enjoying my set. Hope that doesn't upset anyone to say that. 

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@Satele 

Your experience is what everyone who's bought Sky Glass should be getting. But yet again it seems their quality control is just way off the mark.
This new product should be all across the AV media outlets, they should all be heralding it as the exciting new piece of tech that has the possibility to change how we watch TV forever. But they're not. 
It's clear that Glass has many issues, many seemingly to do with how it was marketed in the first place, and, now that it's out there, many issues with variable hardware quality.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sky now quickly get rid of the first batch of Glass TVs and move swiftly to a puck-only approach. 

This message was authored by SteveF1 This message was authored by: SteveF1

@Kevin+j+v  I went for it because my AV system is cluttered to hell and this removed two things from this. Although my OLED TV is great, it's 7yrs old and has compatibility issues with certain things so saw this as a continuation of Sky programming with a few added benefits on top. The fact I can take my sky dish off the wall and remove the unsightly thick cables that have been flung over my roof and down my walls also appeals, as does running UHD F1 via the puck to other rooms. 

What I didn't expect was Glass sourcing it's feed, especially terrestrial channels from their online apps such as ITV Hub, iPlayer 4OD etc. I assumed (maybe naively) they were being streamed by Sky and would be sent to my Glass TV at the same HD quality I see now on Q. The fact that Glass is effectively sourcing 720p programmes from ITV Hub/4OD really puts me off both are terrible with their quality and ads and Sky have no control over those company's upgrading their service. The thought of watching all of ITV in SD is enough to cancel. 

If Sky are prepared to take back the TV after a 2 week trial I may as well accept it and see how I go....

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Satele wrote:

@Chrisee 

Some folk are hung up on the issue with terrestrial channels linking back to apps for recordings. Not remotely bothered by this personally but if you watch a lot of terrestrial content, that's something to consider I guess. 

A fair chunk of the population still consume only broadcast linear content: a significant percentage of Sky+ boxes have never had a broadband connection, for example.  The problem is that the folk in that demographic tend to get forgotten about by designers who live entirely online (and who probably wouldn't ever consider watching anything carried on ITV)

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by no1gooner This message was authored by: no1gooner

After the launch I quickly decided that I wouldn't be 'upgrading' from Q I really don't see what you are getting that current Q customers don't already have? I get that for some family's the ability to have more pucks in operation and uhd in other rooms is a selling point but in the real world how many family's actually have the need for more then 3 boxes throughout their home? Also in general other rooms away from the usual big tv in the lounge will have smaller TV's so you won't see the benefit of uhd anyway. Like another poster has said sky IP in a lot of peoples minds was always meant for people who couldn't have a dish or live in flats where Q is not an option due to the issues with communal systems and it seems sky have marketed it as the next big thing after Q which it isn't.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234 Answer

@SteveF1Yes it is easy to return it if you wish, within 31 days of delivery see this link

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/return-sky-glass#need-a-hand

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@no1gooner wrote:

Also in general other rooms away from the usual big tv in the lounge will have smaller TV's so you won't see the benefit of uhd anyway. 

That doesn't stop people wanting a UHD-capable set-top-box to go with them, though.  It's getting quite hard to find even smaller sets which don't contain a UHD panel now.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by no1gooner This message was authored by: no1gooner

No it doesn't I agree, but people think their going to get this magical uhd experience on a 43' screen whilst laying in bed 8-10 feet away which they won't and then moan it looks no different to standard hd.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion