Discussion topic: How to connect my HP Printer which has a usb lead to my Sky Hub which is Ethernet,

This message was authored by Jimbob+1951 This message was authored by: Jimbob+1951

How to connect my HP Printer which has a usb lead to my Sky Hub which is Ethernet,

My HP Deskjet 2540 has only a USB cable,how can I connect this to my Sky Hub which is an Ethernet connection,any suggestions,kind regards Jim.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: How to connect my HP Printer which has a usb lead to my Sky Hub which is Ethernet,

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jimbob+1951 

There's no particularly good way of doing so when the router doesn't have a USB port.  USB to LAN adapters for printing used to be a thing, but are pretty much obsolete now almost all modern printers are built to be network ready: StarTech still appears to do one but it will cost more than the printer...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: How to connect my HP Printer which has a usb lead to my Sky Hub which is Ethernet,

@Jimbob+1951 

Doesn't the 2540 have ethernet (and WiFi) on board anyway?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Jimbob+1951 

The usb cable is to connect pc/laptop to printer for auto connection

Find below the instructions for wifi and usb set up

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-ink-advantage-2540-all-in-one-printer-series/5285095...

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@Jimbob+1951 

By the way if the 2.4 and 5ghz are combined in one network name you may have to seperate the bands and rename 5ghz so you have 2 network names (ssids) and make sure if you are setting it up via wifi that the devices have the same network name

To seperate wifi bands

- Log onto router and go to wifi
- Go to 5ghz band and untick synchronise 2.4ghz and 5ghz
- Go to 5ghz ssid and add -5g at the end
- Save
- Go to individual devices and assign wifi band accordingly

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion