Discussion topic: Adverts breaking ofcom advertising rules

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Adverts breaking ofcom advertising rules

Why does sky continually break ofcom advertising rules ?

1.1.2(B)
(a) The total amount of spot advertising in any one day must not exceed an average
of nine minutes per hour (15 per cent) of broadcasting.
(b) This may be increased by a further three minutes per hour (5 per cent) devoted to
teleshopping spots, but this additional 5 per cent must not be used for other forms
of spot advertising

1.2 Maximum amount in any one hour
In any one clock hour there must be no more than 12 minutes of advertising spots
and/or teleshopping spots.
(See Section 8 for teleshopping windows.)

I timed over 20 minutes of adverts in one hour yesterday evening ...

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Adverts breaking ofcom advertising rules

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I'd be very surprised if Sky break OFCOM rule. Bear in mind that trailers for forthcoming shows aren't classified as advertising in terms of the rules.

If notwithstanding that you believe Sky aren't complying, take it up with OFCOM. Obviously you'll need to cite specifics, rather than generalisations.

Topic Author

@Mark39

I will do - watch this space and wait for the fallout

9 minutes per hour is allowed - and sky put ad breaks on EVERY 15 mins of at least 4 mins - work that out.

According to what I have just read on-line - EVEN MORE advertising may be allowed meaning that programs will get in the way of adverts even less !!

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Anonymous 

As per a feature on the BBC website today:

The regulator's current rules state that, for channels three to five, the "total amount of advertising in any one day must not exceed an average of seven minutes per hour of broadcasting".

The channels can run advertising breaks of up to eight minutes per hour during prime time periods of 18:00-23:00 and 07:00-09:00.

Other channels are allowed up to nine minutes of advertising per hour of broadcasting, plus an extra three minutes for teleshopping.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Anonymous wrote:

According to what I have just read on-line - EVEN MORE advertising may be allowed meaning that programs will get in the way of adverts even less !!

That will be tricky for conventional broadcasting of existing content where each hour of schedule can only accomodate the advertising already timed-in...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@Anonymous wrote:

Nevet watch the ads myself, so it won't bother me much.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Anonymous wrote:

Why does sky continually break ofcom advertising rules ?

1.1.2(B)
(a) The total amount of spot advertising in any one day must not exceed an average
of nine minutes per hour (15 per cent) of broadcasting.
(b) This may be increased by a further three minutes per hour (5 per cent) devoted to
teleshopping spots, but this additional 5 per cent must not be used for other forms
of spot advertising

1.2 Maximum amount in any one hour
In any one clock hour there must be no more than 12 minutes of advertising spots
and/or teleshopping spots.
(See Section 8 for teleshopping windows.)

I timed over 20 minutes of adverts in one hour yesterday evening ...

Were they all adverts or does that include programme trailers - I, may be wrong,  but I don't think Programme trailers count as adverts

Topic Author

If adverts really bother you THAT much, just record the porgrammes you like.

But if it's a live programme, let's assume you want to watch This Morning from 10:00am to 12:30pm on ITV/Virgin Media One, but you hate the ads. Record it from 10am and start watching the recording at around 10:30am. You will be near the live broadcast when it ends at 12:30pm, and you can just fast forward the ads.

I think you're hissing and moaning over nothing really. There's way to remedy your situation without getting in a fuss.

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you're hissing and moaning over nothing really. There's way to remedy your situation without getting in a fuss.

Surely not.....🙂

This message was authored by xenon81 This message was authored by: xenon81

The rules are frequently misunderstood. A channel (other than ITV, C4, C5) can show up to 12 minutes of adverts per hour. That means an hour could be made up of:

44 minutes of programme material

12 minutes of adverts

4 minutes of promos for other shows.

Many channels show no adverts overnight so they can show the full 12 minutes at peak times and still meet the 9 minutes per hour average across the day. 

OFCOM are very strict on ad limits, even going over the limit by just a few seconds is enough for a warning, so if you have real evidence of Sky or any broadcaster breaking them they will be interested. But most complaints misunderstand the rules and believe show promos are counted as ads. 

This message was authored by Blueboy9 This message was authored by: Blueboy9

@Anonymous it might get worse b4 its gets betteif this is true  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61997064

Topic Author

I timed Discovery last night and on average over 4 hours - 16 mins of adverts every hour !

That was ADVERTS

an extra 6 minutes of teleshopping/previews etc

Thats illegal

That's too vague if you're considering it as an example to report to OFCOM.

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@Anonymous Report it to Ofcom then.    There is very little the forum can do about this.

PS Discovery is nothing to do with Sky.

Sky are only responsible for their own channels.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Anonymous 

Discovery-branded channels are the property of Warner Bros Discovery Inc, not Sky Group Limited (a division of Comcast).  For Discovery, Sky is the provider of an EPG on which they are listed, nothing more.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion