Discussion topic: What is Sky HD

This message was authored by johnw1943 This message was authored by: johnw1943

What is Sky HD

What is Sky HD and why am I being charged for it

Best Answers
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

Re: What is Sky HD

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@johnw1943 wrote:

So if I don't watch Sky HD I can cancel that subscription ?

It isn't just the SKY branded entertainment channels,  as many other entertainment channels also need the HD add on to watch in HD (e.g. those from UKTV - Alibi, W, Dave, Gold)

Although you can watch BBC , ITV, CH4 & CH5 in HD without it - although there is a quirk that C4 & CH5 downloads in HD need the HD add on 

alo if you have Netflix & haven't changed contracts recently then the HD add on also allowed you to watch watch 2 screens at the same time (new/renogiated contracts now work differently though) 

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by SKY1992bf This message was authored by: SKY1992bf

@johnw1943  Sky HD allows you to watch the sky entertainment channels in HD and is a chargeable extra, without it you can only watch SD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please note: I am just a sky customer not a employee - posts from sky employees are clearly marked as such
my setup: Samsung 5 series 32inc tv | sky +hd box | variety, SKY & TNT sports,sky cinema | Netflix and prime video
Please note: I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if this post has helped please give it a like ~ if this post has solved your question/query please mark it as the answer in order to help others

If you would like to post a “Send Your Thanks to Sky” message please click Here
johnw1943
Topic Author
This message was authored by johnw1943 This message was authored by: johnw1943

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Yes, subject to 31 days notice, unless it's included as part of a deal which has a minimum term.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the SD channels carried on satellite are being turned off.

for example the BBC are turning off their SD satellite channels on the 8th January.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99 Answer

@johnw1943 wrote:

It isn't just the SKY branded entertainment channels,  as many other entertainment channels also need the HD add on to watch in HD (e.g. those from UKTV - Alibi, W, Dave, Gold)

Although you can watch BBC , ITV, CH4 & CH5 in HD without it - although there is a quirk that C4 & CH5 downloads in HD need the HD add on 

alo if you have Netflix & haven't changed contracts recently then the HD add on also allowed you to watch watch 2 screens at the same time (new/renogiated contracts now work differently though) 

This message was authored by Patrycja3 This message was authored by: Patrycja3

Exactly !!! And also they don't tell you this 

@Patrycja3 wrote:

Exactly !!! And also they don't tell you this 

If you don't quote the post, or mention the poster, we have no idea which post you're replying to.

It's up to you to understand what you sign up to or ask. 

This message was authored by Patrycja3 This message was authored by: Patrycja3

Thanks - noted

I read my contract when I renewed it and no mention of SKY HD.

They opt you in without asking if you want this subscription! especially since I have always opted out from SKY HD in my previous bills 2022 and then they opted me back in 2023 automatically without notification. I have spoken with SKY about this and at the time of my renewal there is no record to show that the agent even asked me if I want to opt in to this option. 

also if SKY cared for their loyal customers they would give them the heads up that at your renewal we automatically opt you back in! No mention of it anywhere ( I am happy to be shown where SKY explicitly mentions this in their contract or TOR that they opt you in and you have to call to remove this subscription) 

i would suggest that if you are not bothered about the HD channels save yourself some money and cancel it from the get go! Some channels they read out to me I have not even heard of so I was ok to remove this subscription of my bill. 

@Patrycja3 wrote:

They opt you in without asking if you want this subscription! especially since I have always opted out from SKY HD in my previous bills 2022 and then they opted me back in 2023 automatically without notification.

Sky send you confirmation by letter or email when you sign up to a new deal which details the changes to your package.. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Mark39 wrote:

@Patrycja3 wrote:

They opt you in without asking if you want this subscription! especially since I have always opted out from SKY HD in my previous bills 2022 and then they opted me back in 2023 automatically without notification.

Sky send you confirmation by letter or email when you sign up to a new deal which details the changes to your package.. 

Indeed and all correspondance can be found in the My Messages section of your My Sky account either online or through the My Sky app.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by zalid This message was authored by: zalid

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

It's worth bearing in mind that a lot of the SD channels carried on satellite are being turned off.

for example the BBC are turning off their SD satellite channels on the 8th January.

It's getting to the point that HD sub should not be needed and HD should be the default. But then Sky would lose a bunch of money...

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@zalid wrote:
and HD should be the default. But then Sky would lose a bunch of money...

Nope as they would put the charge on everyone as part of the basic sub.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

@zalid wrote:

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

It's getting to the point that HD sub should not be needed and HD should be the default. But then Sky would lose a bunch of money...

HD is the default on the Sky Streaming platform.

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion