Discussion topic: Price hike April 2024

This message was authored by Emily+lady This message was authored by: Emily+lady

Re: Price hike April 2024

Discounts ended over a year ago

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Emily+lady wrote:

Discounts ended over a year ago

@Emily+lady 

Then unless you're going to move to a different provider you could contact Sky to try to negotiate a new deal or potentially amend your package which will require another 18 month minimum term contract. Sky are not obliged to offer you another discount so if you’re offered something acceptable you need to agree to it there and then because if you decide to think about it the offer may no longer be available when you call back.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@Emily+lady wrote:

Up until 1st May my sky TV bill was £87pm 1st of May It increased to £108 pm, but this morning it's £151.33 surely this can't be right not made any changes to my subscription and this is much more than the 6.7% they warned about

Check your previous and future bills to see what's affected it so much.

Once you've done that then ask yourself why on earth you've been paying full price (although it wouldn't appear to be the fact anyway) for a year if that's when your discounts ended.

Nobody in my opinion should be paying that for (hopefully) broadband, phone and TV.

This message was authored by Brar121 This message was authored by: Brar121

I completely get that sky need to make money as a business, however sports has become very expensive to watch. I've decided since last year highlights are good enough for me. 

My breakdown out of contract was Sky TV, Sky Signature, Multi-room, HD Channel (I think charging for HD is ridiculous) was 68.50. I've taken my total entertainment cost per annum from £1200 approx (including TV Licesnce) to £430.00 approx. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Brar121 wrote:

I completely get that sky need to make money as a business, however sports has become very expensive to watch. 

Because most sports organisations are now addicted to television money, and use it to pay the top level participants (and associated organisers) outrageous amounts of money.  That's not going to change unless viewers stop subscribing in very large numbers.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@Anonymous wrote:

@Nealex wrote:

So i contacted Sly customer support nad they refused any help. I since went to the CAB and they advised there is nothi g we can do about TV.  Broadband can be cancelled within 30 days of the price increase notification but not TV unless the price hike exceeds 10%. What you can do is scale all your services back to 'essentail'. So i called Sky retentions and did that. Its immediate and all you get is the freeview content for 15 quid a month. Also they will give you the date you need to put your contract cancellation in to ensure it ends exactly on time. Any additional kit will need to be sent back. Personally I feel the only  way large corps like Sky will ever change there penny pinching tatics is if we actual say no and walk. They have lost 40 per month revenue for the rest of this contract and then theey loss a lifelong Sky customer. Sad.

It's no surprise about the TV part but I'm waiting for a reply from them at the moment re. the broadband.

I contacted them the other day about the price rises and even though I was in contract for both until December they immediately checked without me asking and gave me an acceptable deal on the TV package. (acceptable to us that is as the wife is housebound, so I can't really lose the TV part for her sake. One day, hopefully a long time in the future I'll enjoy cancelling Sky entirely when it's just me)

The Ultrafast 1 however is £28 currently, going up to £31 in July and the best they could offer was £32 for a new 18 contract (subject to the next mid-contract price rise).

Where we clashed however is in the wording of the email which is :- 

"We hope you continue to use and enjoy Sky but if you're not happy with these changes, you can cancel your Sky Broadband by calling 03448 244 450. If you're within your minimum contract period, call us within 30 days of getting this email to avoid early termination charges. Unless you tell us otherwise, your Sky subscription will continue as usual."  

I read this as to mean that since I've advised them of my intention to move to Virgin BB for £10 less for an equivalent service (I'm with O2 for sim at the moment so if I stay with O2 I can double that download speed) then if it takes Virgin 6 weeks to set me up I can still give Sky the 14 days cancellation with no ETC's. As I work from home I can't be without BB.

Sky have now got me absolutely bl**dy raging, despite being advised at least twice that no ETC's would be due on the BB cancellation, they've just sent me an email saying they've added a £51.25 charge for ETC's. When I've checked my next bill, lo and behold they have as well. I've already sent back the router and had an email confirming it but I wouldn't be surprised if they still try and charge me for that.

This message was authored by Emma259 This message was authored by: Emma259

Re: April '24 Price Increases Broadband & Phone

Just cancelled all sky because of price hikes.  The same package on the website was a lot cheaper and there was no deal to be made even on cancellation.  I know some people get good prices as I've seen it on the bills.  He wasn't budging for me though.  As of today that's a lot of people cancelling this month alone because of similar experiences.  Another loyal customer gone. 

This message was authored by StormWreck This message was authored by: StormWreck

Re: April '24 Price Increases Broadband & Phone

Same for me, I asked them to match their new customer deal and I would stay as I need phone and not many do it now... They refused and I moved, next few days I got calls on deals to come back lol little too late...

This message was authored by John+Scott+Latty This message was authored by: John+Scott+Latty

Seems my broadband has just gone up from 40 pm to 50 pm and total bill to 140 pm

The problem is actually getting to speak to someone as they ignore my emails - demand I phone them.  Well I'll try but I don't have the patience to sit in a queue for 60 minutes.

Im not even on FTTP - as my FTTC suffices.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@John+Scott+Latty wrote:

... as they ignore my emails

They don't use email for such communications I'm afraid.  You'll have to persevere on the lines or chat when available.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@John+Scott+Latty wrote:

they ignore my emails - 

@John+Scott+Latty 

Sky don't use email for general communication. Could your discounts have ended? 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

@John+Scott+Latty wrote:

Seems my broadband has just gone up from 40 pm to 50 pm and total bill to 140 pm

The problem is actually getting to speak to someone as they ignore my emails - demand I phone them.  Well I'll try but I don't have the patience to sit in a queue for 60 minutes.

Im not even on FTTP - as my FTTC suffices.

That's one thing that I've never had a problem with when phoning Sky, I've always gotten through very quickly. £40 seems high for up to 68Mbps(?), let alone £50. Is your TV out of minimum term as well (I'm presuming the BB is)?

This message was authored by Paulow79 This message was authored by: Paulow79

Same issue for me, my discount is ending and i wish to switch to a cheaper stream service due to building work and no place for a dish.

I was paying ~£86 PCM for sports, cinema, multi, broadband etc

this has jumped to £96

after contract ends up to £114

They will offer me stream at £111.

New customers? £81

I'm allegedly a platinum VIP customer, where is the loyalty?

I've just cancelled my subscription, so long sky, thanks for the memories.

@Paulow79 wrote:

Same issue for me, my discount is ending and i wish to switch to a cheaper stream service due to building work and no place for a dish.

I was paying ~£86 PCM for sports, cinema, multi, broadband etc

this has jumped to £96

after contract ends up to £114

They will offer me stream at £111.

New customers? £81

I'm allegedly a platinum VIP customer, where is the loyalty?

I've just cancelled my subscription, so long sky, thanks for the memories.

Virgin Media do a (very good) Stream box on a rolling monthly deal on various packages with zero monthly cost if you don't have any (you even get to add and remove them yourself online). The only caveat is that you have to have VM broadband.

This message was authored by Emma259 This message was authored by: Emma259

Pretty much how much mine jumped. Apparently it was going to be an extra 25 this month too. They are taking the **bleep** out of loyal customers when the new customer price is 85. Unfortunately can't get virgin so I've got to mix and match a little now.  £172 is absolutely ridiculous. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion