Discussion topic: Losing customers

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Losing customers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@TimmyBGood wrote:

A rather fairer criticism is that the magnitude of the inevitable annual increase is unknown at the time of accepting the contract, because it's based on a government calculation of CPI the following December, and that might be 11 months away.

The Q contract says a max of 10% or RPI.   Personally I think all such contracts should be a fixed rate for the agreed period but I suspect this will only cause prices to ironically rise across the board to cover.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@PandJ2020 

Ofcom appears to be moving against inflation-based increases:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2023/ban-on-inflation-linked-mid-contract-price-rise 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@PandJ2020 wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

A rather fairer criticism is that the magnitude of the inevitable annual increase is unknown at the time of accepting the contract, because it's based on a government calculation of CPI the following December, and that might be 11 months away.

The Q contract says a max of 10% or RPI.   Personally I think all such contracts should be a fixed rate for the agreed period but I suspect this will only cause prices to ironically rise across the board to cover.

Indeed and i suspect this is what will happen if OFCOM bring in this regulation following their planned consultation. Which i'm not sure is actually in consumers' best interest as it will likely lead to higher prices. 

I'm all for what OFCOM are trying to achieve but not sure this is the right way to go about it.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Foxyspain This message was authored by: Foxyspain

Like many on here, I've been with Sky for donkeys but decided my package needed a discussion. Tried the number but got so frustrated with the robots I threw the phone across the room!! If you are a current customer you are steered to another number- what a waste of time.

I just want to ralk to someone, how can that be made so difficult, instead of wanting to upgrade I now just want to cancel it.

Whatever happened to human contact.

This message was authored by Wizzzzzzzo This message was authored by: Wizzzzzzzo

Just cancelled my sky subscription after 23 years, i find it amazing how they treat loyal customers when you can get it cheaper online as a new customer

This message was authored by bruce This message was authored by: bruce

Totally agree, if it was my business, I would be treating my customers with respect to keep them.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Wizzzzzzzo 

Your own thread has been replied to. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by Rob11 This message was authored by: Rob11

Raising charges half way through a SKY 18 month con tract is a certainty, either they put everyone on a monthly contract like Netflix and Prime and ITVx with an option to by 12 months with a discount like so TV streamers do now.  Broadband the same 12 months and then monthly.  The Govt should step in here

as so many are being ripped off and SKY are the worst of all of them with their greed and bad customer service.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Rob11 wrote:

SKY are the worst of all of them with their greed

Ofcom figures suggest something rather different.

Table_1.png

Table_2.png

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/273138/pricingtrendsreport2023.pdf 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Rob11 wrote:

SKY are the worst of all of them with their greed

Ofcom figures suggest something rather different.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/273138/pricingtrendsreport2023.pdf 

The facts upset the 'greed' narrative, though...😁

Yes Timmy B Good, but SKY's 8.1% of a lot of money isn't quite the same as those others. BT and EE are one and the same and as your list shows they are all at it but SKY TV subs start at loads more than the others basic SKY is loads more than Netflix, Prime which includes free delivery and Para, Apple et. Laws must be changed to halt these huge companies from exploiting us all.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Rob11 

Everyone has the opportunity (at the appropriate point in their deal) to cancel Sky if they no longer feel its value for money and move to another provider, which I see from your first post you've already done. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Rob11 wrote:

Yes Timmy B Good, but SKY's 8.1% of a lot of money isn't quite the same as those others. BT and EE are one and the same and as your list shows they are all at it but SKY TV subs start at loads more than the others basic SKY is loads more than Netflix, Prime which includes free delivery and Para, Apple et. Laws must be changed to halt these huge companies from exploiting us all.

Why are you comparing Sky to Apple, Amazon etc. That is comparing Apples and Bananas. Sky's direct competitors would be Virgin and EE based on the package of services they provide. If you then break it down further into broadband and mobile phone, then you start ot add in the likes to Talk Talk, PlusNet, Vodafone, O2, Three.

All there prices are somewhat similar, best deals always go to new cusomters, and Sky didn't put up prices last year as much as most of the competition did.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

Why are you comparing Sky to Apple, Amazon etc. That is comparing Apples and Bananas. Sky's direct competitors would be Virgin and EE based on the package of services they provide. If you then break it down further into broadband and mobile phone, then you start ot add in the likes to Talk Talk, PlusNet, Vodafone, O2, Three.

Of course I am making comparisons of the TV that is out there.  I compare SKY and what it costs to what else is available to buy or get free. You may thinks SKY is great, that's your opinion, I think it's a ripoff. You make excuses for the prices to new customers! why not say that once they have you on an 18 month contract they own you. Have a look  at the hundreds ofTRUSTPILOT reviews where SKY get 1.4 out of 5 which is appalling.  We are in a cost of living crisis when millions are looking at how much things cost,  so many people ditching SKY and who can blame them.  I have got rid of SKY and now have Netflix at £4.99 with ads and ITVx which is a free service although I have paid £59 for a year's premium service which is super value for money. Sorry is you think I am being unfair to SKY comparing them to smaller companies like APPLE and Netflix LOL, but SKY are no longer the be all and end all, they are just another behemoth bleeding loyal customers dry. BTW Apples and Bananas are still good value, which is more than anyone can say about SKY highhhhhh!!!

Tomjah
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tomjah This message was authored by: Tomjah

Such practical common sense by Rob as 10% of not a lot IS not a lot but 10% of £130 is £13 which is a lot of money for no customer service less 1st class sport especially Rugby Football and Cricket. Customers need look at ACTUAL monetary increase NOT % s

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion